Sertraline withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site just today. I've been taking a low dose of sertraline for nearly 2 years and feel I want to try and come off it now. I only take 20mg a day and would value any advice. Thank you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thats great. You just follow your docs orders regarding the weaning off and you will be home free. The less of the drug one is used to taking and the less time for which it has been taken makes it easier to wean off.
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm considering just stopping as seems to be such a low dose to others I've been reading but not sure if it's safe to. Thanks for reply smile

• Posted

The internet recommend going down slowly, then every 2nd day then every third day. 
    • Posted

But when you wean off make sure you do it over a long period of time to get your brain adjusted slowly to not getting the daily dose. Please be careful with this as withdrawal can be different in different people. If you feel too bad get back to your doc immediately. I am in my second month without the medicine and i am having pretty bad withdrawal symptoms but i was on the drug much longer than any of you 50 mg for 4 years. So i guess this is to be expected. I am in touch with a psychologist to help me through this.
    • Posted

Just dont stop it lije that. You have to wran off slowly. Please talk to your doctor about this first.
    • Posted

Your body needs to adjust.

So, please titrate your dose down slowly.

Otherwise, you could have serious adverse effects,

• Posted

Hi Sandra. 

Iv been on 25mg for 4months, no plans to come off it yet tho.

will be interesting to see how you get on with coming off it. 

Im sure others will be too please keep us posted,

i will have to do the same one day 

good luck 

• Posted

Thank you. My hubby thinks as it's a low dose I should keep on it as he's worried I'll be I'll again x

• Posted

That's what I'm worried about, I don't want the anxiety to come back again.

and it being a low dose im not to worried about being on it.

it was a horrible year for me last year with health anxiety and it's the best iv felt in a long time. 

talk to your GP before you decide.

and if you do, do it slowly x

• Posted

Wondering:

Why did you start taking it?

Why do you want to go off it?

Did your doctor suggest you get off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.