Sertraline withdrawal and palpitations (ectopic beats?)

Posted , 1 user is following.

So... I'm in the process of reducing my sertraline from 100mg (that i was on for around a year) and ever since hitting the 50mg milestone after 2 weeks I've started to noticed odd beats with my heart (likely to be ectopic beats).

When it comes to getting checked out by a Dr. ive done the lot, ECGs, you name it, ive done it and theres absolutely nothing wrong with the ticker!

Whilst that was very reassuring - im still getting the beats every other day. Im now on 25mg and this hasnt affected them neither positively or negatively.

I'm wondering has anyone experienced this before? is it normal? is it the medication or anxiety in general?

since reducing my medication i have felt more anxiety but nothing i can't handle or deal with but this sensation of my heart stopping/skipping a beat is not very nice. I also experience weird sensations in my neck/throat as well when I'm getting them.

If anyone has some sound advice that would be very much appreciated!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi David,

New here and curious as to how you got on ... I have been on Sertraline several months and I keep getting strange sensations with my heartbeat - cant say it races, more like it suddenly loses rhythm and goes out of sync ... I take sertraline for health anxiety, so now I am petrified! Would be reassuring to think it was just a side effect of the sertraline!

Where are you now on your journey?

Thanks

pippa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.