Sertraline withdrawel is battering me.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, folks.

I hope this post finds you well.

I am new to this forum and just wanted to access some advice and reassurance.

In January of 2000, the Sertraline I was prescribed to treat a severe depressive illness was increased to 150mg. From there I had my life back! In 2005, I decided to come off this medication under my GP's supervision. A month after ending the medication I became very depressed and had suicidial thoughts that scared me to my bones. I went back on Sertraline and worked up to my old dose. No one was going to get me off sertraline again.

In August 2022, I sufferred a sudden deterioration in my mental health. I accessed A&E with what I know now was a severe panic attack. On discussing my medication, the nurse blithely informed me that due to length of time I've been on sertraline it probably wasn't working. The problem was as I was so poorly no psych would recommend me coming off it as "we don't know how you will react." Hence, I was put on a cocktail of anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic medication designed as "adjuncts" to Sertraline, which was also increased to 200mg to cover all bases. None of them worked.

A month ago we decided to taper of Sertraline and replace with Duloxetine. This was reduced weekly by 50 mg. I have now been off sertraline for 3 weeks and my withdrawel symptoms are horrendous - I get freezing cold, stomach cramps, terrible wind, constant nausea but by far the worse is the constant violent anxiety attacks, which include my vision becoming blurred and today for the first time hearing things that I am sure weren't there. My fear is that given the length of time I've been on Sertraline apparently these could last for months. Has anybody had any similar experiences of withdrawing of Sertraline after being on it for a long-time? I appreciate every one is different but how long did these last for you?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

I am currently on Sertraline but have taken Citalopram previously.

I am by far no expert but 50mg withdrawal a week sounds like it is far too much. The slower you withdraw the better and less side effects - especially as you have been on the meds for a long time and on a high dose.

Perhaps speak to your GP again?

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Many thanks Mo1993. I think the problem was that my psych was keen to start a new anti-depressant asap as Sertraline was not working and I was desperate to get back to work. I was keen to crack on with the change as I didn't my withdrawals would be this bad. I can't go back onto sertraline as earlier on in my breakdown I was prescribed Quitiapine to try to boost the Sertraline. It didn't work but I am still on it. A readition of Sertraline would increase the risk of serotonin syndrome.

Today has been a nightmare. Woke up with heavy flu like symptoms and then at midday the heavy anxiety attacks hit. Only Diazepam gives me relief. Will never quit but losing hope of getting my life back.

• Posted

Oh i see. I no its hard when u think u are never going to feel better, but u will. The side effects are bad because of the withdrawal. Its a matter of finding the right meds and u will eventually.

Try hang on in there

• Posted

Hi Mo,

Many thanks for your kind words. They are massively appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Mo,

thanks for enquiring on my behalf. It's so nice to have such a supportive group. In short, not great. I was getting worse and worse and I couldn't see any benefit from the Duloxetine I'd been taking for 7 weeks. My psych recommended that I increase the Duloxetine to 120mg and add another anti-anxiety medication - bearing in mind they've already put me on Pregabalin and Quitiapine.

I just had to say no. I wanted to return to an SSRI. I'd been on Venaflaxine in the late 90's and it didn't work and I could see no benefit what so ever in staying in Duloxetine.

My psych said fine. Lets start you on Escitalopram. The psych game me the option of coming off Duloxetine over a slower taper or a direct switch, coming down over six days. My problem Mo, is that if I am not back in work by July 14th, I get no pay and have enough savings to pay a month's morgage. In true "sod it" fashion I went for the direct switch. I figured I'd only been on them for 7 weeks. I went off them on Wednesday and have suffered horrible anxiety and depressive episodes. I don't know whether this is still the sertraline or the duloxetine. I've just got to butch it out! I can't complain, as my decisions.

• Posted

Hi Mark.

Oh i am really sorry to hear that. It can be so hard to find the right meds.

You will get there but I no the waiting game is so hard. I am finally feeling better but its taken around 18 weeks.

I agree it is great to have support on this forum.

Are you feeling any better at all now??

• Posted

Hi Mo,

I feel worse. Think its the side-affects from the Escitalopram, which according to some on here are pretty brutal. Just gotta keep going.

• Posted

how're you feeling now? hope you have found the right balance of meds to at least give you some relief.

sertraline withdrawal is brutal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.