Sertraline withdrawl symptoms help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I felt like i couldn't take anything anymore a while back so I went to see my gp. She recommended sertraline but I explained to her that I was already on it twice and it didn't work and I had bad side effects. I have been on over 10 different meds the last decade for depression, anxiety etc.

I took the sertraline at 10mg and immediately had diarrhea. My anxiety then went through the roof and I was reading on forums that this should pass. I went up on the dose after speaking to the gp again because I thought if I was already going through he'll the higher dose might help.

After 4 weeks I had to stop and the side effects were unbearable. I went off them but maybe too quickly.

I have been off it over a month and I have severe mood swings, severe anxiety, racing heart, chest pain. Sorry for the long post. Has anyone got any advice o. what I can do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My experience was very similar: 8 weeks on 50mg, terrible side effect esp tummy ones, so tapered off to 25mg then zero. That was four weeks ago and I'm still suffering - though with diarrhoea and tummy aches plus dreams, which seems different to you. It seems your stomach issues calmed down when you stopped taking the tablets? In terms of the anxiety and edginess I had that too in the first few weeks of finishing but those things are improving so hang in there.

• Posted

I had similar tummy issues after only having been on sertraline for 5 weeks (although the first 3 weeks were fine and then started suddenly). Anyway, I came off of them ten days ago and although there has been an improvement with my tummy it seems to be two steps forward and then one back. Very loose tummy again today and cramps are worse than they've been for days. Hope it is sorted soon and that you're noticing an improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.