Sertraline works! Don't give up.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've seen so many posts about sertraline and how after 5 days it isn't working, the panic has increased, depression is worse, on and on. You've all seen these posts too.

I'm here to tell you not to give up. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of people that think after 2 weeks on 25mg they will be cured. People thinking that after 8 weeks on 50mg nothing is improving. Why is this? Because your dose is too low! You need to stop being afraid to increase your dose and follow the recommended increases of 25mg every 2 weeks. The therapeutic dosage of sertraline is 150-200mg plus or minus. So if after 7 weeks on 25mg you don't feel better it's because your dose is too low! Stay on the program and it will work.

It wasn't until I was on 100mg for a full week that I woke up without morning anxiety for the first time in months. I missed almost 50% of my shifts at work and had a hospital trip in the previous 8 weeks, because my dose was too low!

Stay on it. Don't give up because of side effects, they go away, and in reality half the side effects you feel you already had before starting sertraline.

It works. Don't stop.

Good luck everyone! smile

5 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey guys, I would like to add my own thoughts. I took 50 mg sertraline for 17 years, went off it two years ago, then got increasingly anxious until this spring when it got so bad I knew I needed meds again. I went on 50 mg and it wasn’t helping at all. Went to 100 mg and felt even worse—severe panic and no sleep etc. The last time I was on it, every time I had tried to go to 100 I got worse. Anyway, I went back to 50, called my doctor in desperation, and she added buspirone. This drug has totally brought me back to myself!! I am on 50 mg sertraline and 30 mg buspirone (15 mg twice a day) and I feel...normal!!! My point being, if you’re on one sertraline dose, and you increase it and give it plenty of time to work, and you still feel actually worse than at the lower dose, I don’t think continuing to increase the dose is going to help. And maybe try adding buspirone because it really has worked wonders for me. Good luck to everyone!! 
    • Posted

Hello Kate. Your message was very interesting and informative. I shall definitely make a mental note of the additional tablet. During your 17 years on sertraline, did you drink wine? It says on the leaflet its not recommended but the pharmacist said it wouldn't stop it working but it could cause drowsiness which i certainly don't mind cos I don't sleep well anyway.

• Posted

Mmmm drowsy. I don't remember the last time I slept through the night without being completely obliterated.

• Posted

yes i've always drunk whatever i wanted...i'm not a heavy drinker but i never noticed any difference drinking on or off sertraline.

• Posted

I want to thank you for your post. Of all the Zoloft reviews I read, yours was the one that stuck in my head and kept me going, despite very uncomfortable gastric side effects. My depression was severe, and it was not until week 6-7 that the medication magically kicked in, and I was able to joke again, get up and go again! I am still not 100% 'there' butonce again I feel I'm LIVING! So THANK YOU!

• Posted

No sweating, actually weight loss due to gastric issues, and dreams have been regular for me. 😃

• Posted

how many mg are you taking? I'm struggling with anxiety and bad depression and struggling . I was taking 25mg for 4 wks now on day 16 on 50mg. I have moments that i feel hopeless and just want to quit.

• Posted

Hi I've been on this med now for 9 weeks, can I ask what type of gastric issues you have been having.

• Posted

Your dose is not on therapeutic levels yet. This is the worst part, taking the medication with no effects until your dose reaches therapeutic levels. Take your 50 mg for about two weeks, then move to 75 mg for two more weeks, and then to 100 mg, which is therapeutic level. Once on therapeutic level you will see improvement within a week or two. If not, you may need to up the dose, since therapeutic level is between 100-200 mg/day. Consult your doctor, and best of luck! Hang in there, it works!

• Posted

Lack of appetite and feeling full with just a little food intake. I lost 15 lbs. (but I needed to loose 10, so I took it in stride ....) After a month, my appetite is normal and my mood has very much improved!

• Posted

Hi thank you for your encouraging message ..could I ask your opinion on my situation please.

Ive been on mirtazapine for 15 years and my gp has now added in sertraline im on my 3rd week of 25 mg and today after taking it I feel awful really spaced out in a world of my own ..tired ! Is this normal on such a low dose should I increase would the side effects be easier as you go higher ? Im off work sick and was hoping to go back next week but cant envisage it happening the way I feel today ( side effects feel worse as time going on ) x

• Posted

I had no such feeling. Consult with your doctor as this may be a side effect I know nothing about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.