Sertraline / Zoloft - after 3 months symptoms seem to have returned

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post here, the forum has helped my so much on my journey with anxiety/depression. Thank you to all who contribute.

I have always tried to deal with my symptoms through self-care, meditation etc, but reached a point where I felt I needed something more and turned to my GP to address the anxiety symptoms and low mood, she prescribed my 50MG of Sertraline / Zoloft and I have been on them for three months.

I didn't have any real side effects when I started taking the medication and after 4-6 weeks I can honestly say that my anxiety symptoms had pretty much vanished and my mood was much better. I log my mood and anxiety daily and for the first time in a long time it all looked very positive and it was consistently good.

Last month the brand of medication was switched, I have been on the new brand for a month and everything has been fine until recently...

I went on a 2 week holiday and there was an 8 hour time difference, so I decided that instead of taking the tablet at 6:30am like I do in the UK each day, I would instead take them at 2:30pm in the afternoon while overseas, as this tied in with the same time (6:30am) in the UK, I thought this was the sensible approach, but I am not sure if it has worked.

I got back from holiday a week ago and I was fine over the weekend and I went back to taking the medication at 6:30am UK time. Then when I got back to work on Monday morning - BANG, the old anxiety and low mood were back, it was like a bolt out of the blue, I was catastrophising and thinking worst case scenarios again and I have been in a funk all this week - argh!

I feel at a bit of a loss, my hope is that it will settle down and the time change has caused disruption, has anyone else had any similar experiences or any wisdom to share on this?

Or, maybe it is just a case of the holiday blues!

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it's probably a combination of both the brand change and taking it in the afternoon on holiday. Even though you're taking it at the same time as if you were still at home,your daytime routine in relation to when you take the tablet has changed,especially sleep time. More importantly,I would blame the brand change in my own experience. Watch Dr. Tracey Marks's video on YT entitled Generic medicines - Are they as good as the Brand for a detailed explanation why.

• Posted

Similar thing happens between different generic company pills as between the brand and generics. ie. different fillers,releasing agents and the difference in tolerance companies are allowed in manufacturing their pills.

• Posted

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply, I think you are probably right.

The negative symptoms have settled a bit in the last couple of days, however, my anxiety is elevated for sure. I suppose the question is whether I stick with the new brand or return back to the original?

I have emailed my Dr and asked whether I should look at increasing from 50mg to 100mg.

Very frustrating!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.