Sertraline / Zoloft and irregular periods

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started on sertraline in August last year. I had a pretty stressful year as was diagnosed with Ms in may amd had an abortion at 6 weeks in July, then had to get tested and have a biopsy for cervical irregularities. Luckily all clear. Since July my periods have been irregular and sometimes only 20 days apart. I know I initially it was due to the termination and the biopsy but then I went straight on sertraline and they are now between 20 and 28 days and only last for 3-4 days. I used to be 25-30 days and last 6-8 days.

Anybody else had this? X

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I started noticing this after I got back on this med in November. However, I don’t know it’s due to this med, because I’m also mid-40s so I was thinking I might be pre-menopause. Not sure. And oh when my period comes after missing several months, it is extremely heavy. It’s all several periods in one. Sorry to hear you had to go thru that. Take care.
  • Posted

I agree with GodsServant I don't think it's from the sertraline. However your reproductive system has gone through a lot of trauma lately. I'm sure it's still healing. Also your bodies hormones could be changing. I would discuss this with your doc and see if it's a red flag.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.