Sertraline/ zoloft & Diarrhea

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started Sertraline about 1.5 weeks ago.

The first night I was so sick. I took it on an empty stomach.

Now I cut my 100mg dose to 50mg, I eat a full meal, and I have straight water diarrhea. Multiple times a day, running to the bathroom . Stomach feels sour, nausea.

Ive lost about 10lbs so far.

I know it takes a few weeks but I already notice a significant differenc with the anxiety and overall mentally I feel pretty good....I really am trying to tough it out.

I tried pepto and immodium, but it doesnt do anything.

Is there anything I can do?

Has anybody taken this and have really bad diarrhea?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hiya ive been put on Paxil 20mg for health anxiety as its really bad. I started it yesterday so only took one so far and i feel REALLY sick... to the point i could'nt eat my tea yesterday. I think a lot of antidepressants have this side effect, i was considering not taking them as i cant cope with the sick feeling... but then i think i should persevere. Its a hard one and every persons reaction is different to them xx

• Posted

I take sertraline 100mg.. and although I have ibs I have constantly had loose stools (sorry if tmi)

I haven't found a way around it yet accept for eating oats and bananas and food that's high in fiber which lessens it down to a few loose stools every now and then.

• Posted

Also for the sickness.. (which I have rarely) I just have soft mints with me at all times.

Peppermint is a settler so works well.

I think both these symptoms are possible side effects.

I don't have to eat with my tablets and I feel fine although I've been on them for quite some time now

• Posted

Hi I have been in it for 5 weeks and had constant diarrhoea for the past theee weeks feeling really low now and very anxious not sure what to suggest xx
  • Posted

Possibly a contrindication to confirm look for the leaflet in the box they will explain any problems you may have.

Talk to your GP, especially if you are loosing a lot of weight

• Posted

I’ve been on Zoloft for about two months.  I was taking one whole dosage at night but had to change dosage to 1/2 morning and 1/2 nighttime.  I also have had bouts of occasional diarrhea with severe cramps.  Sometimes I can go a week before having an episode and then other weeks I can have episodes a couple of days in a row.  It hits me fast and extreme!  As you also mentioned, it has helped me tremendously with depression but I think I’ll have to change to something else very soon.
  • Posted

I started on Zoloft about six weeks ago. Constant diarreah. I thought I had gastroenteritis. I was taking Imodium but  with little effect, then added charcoal tablets.  I even went so far as to have a colonoscopy.  My doctor told me to halve the dose but I am coming off it.  It is not worth the agony, living on white rice, bread and apple juice.  I need to live an active life. Am asking my doctor to put me back on Celexa on a higher dose.  
  • Posted

I also had diarrhoea so I split the dose & take half of pill in morning & half for lunch though, If you were to take it later in the day you might not sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.