Sertraline (Zoloft) - morning or night?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've posted in my previous posts that my doc prescribed me 25mg sertraline (12.5mg for the first 6 days then afterward and revisit in about 4 weeks to see how I'm doing) and I want to know what those of you prefer, taking them morning or night. I've heard majority of people prefer morning and I know it is different for everyone but just wanted some input on when others take theirs and if there's any success stories that would be greatly appreciated smile I'm always terrified to start meds. The doctor pretty much left it up to me to decide when I want to take the meds

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I always take mine in the morning after breakfast (I was advised to in case they upset my stomach, but actually it's fine). Then I know "that's done" and I can forget about it for the rest of the day.

I too am terrified of taking meds in case they make me feel strange which I couldn't cope with, but sertraline has been fine. I started on 50 mg but moved up to 100 mg after six weeks, and even then it took another seven weeks to take effect, so do be patient. It's not a cure but it takes the edge of my anxiety and depression and I can cope better. I really don't want to feel like a different person, so that's fine by me.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply sue! I agree morning is probably the best route to go. And I will persevere even if the side effects are rough. Did you experience any initial side effects?

I have a lot of friends that swear by Zoloft so I'm hoping it will be successful with me as well although I know everyone is different

• Posted

No, I haven't had any side effects at all. I wouldn't know I'm taking it apart from the fact that I feel somewhat better!

• Posted

I take mine at night along with my birth contol.. no reason behind it I just find it fits into my routine better.

The start up symptoms were horrific for me. I was bed ridden for about a week. Dizzy, nausea, tired, increased anxiety. I only felt better when I slept. I am on 37.5 mg for 2 months now and I feel great. No side effects other than a little weight gain. But I rather be a little chunky than have uncontrolale anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.