Serum calcium and zometa

Posted , 2 users are following.

My father has prostate cancer with bone mets he is on zometa from last 6 months .his serum calcium starts from 10.1 now it is 7.8

Doctor said at 7.8 we can't inject zometa .

This is good or swear?

Kindly guide me

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello sorry about your dad. I just asked my wife your  question she’s a nurse practitioner, I don’t know any of this medical stuff but she said that medication is used to treat high calcium levels and what it does is it lowers the calcium levels in the blood & also slows down the progression of fractures in the bones that can happen with cancer. so if his blood calcium is already at seven then it’s too low if dr injects the Zometa it can bring it to a dangerously low level of calcium which can put him in a condition called hypocalcemia  and that can also break his bones. I hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.