Serum creatinine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

My partner was given a blood test 

It’s come back that his serum creatinine is 107 what could this mean? Anyone had this and it’s been nothing? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've just had a kidney transplant and my creatinine is between 100 -120 and my doc says im doing perfectly. 107 creatinine is fine. When i was on dialysis it was in the 700s.

• Posted

Hi donna your creatinine is nothing to be worrying about at 107.relax your fine. Just as important is your egfr anything above 60 is ok but its also age dependant . Chilax

Terry

• Posted

Hi Donna. I'm shocked the doctors and/or the nurses have not explained what this means. It's stressful to not know after all. Mine was 118 the other day and I am doing just fine. You should seek the advice of a nephrologist if you haven't already. They can monitor the situation in case his creatinine level goes higher. Good luck guys!

• Posted

Hi m

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that he has kidney disease though or will they need to test more? All his other kidney tests were normal!

• Posted

From the info you posted he sounds like his kidneys are doing just fine. Normal creatinine is between 88 and 128. As someone else mentioned, the other main thing to check is the egfr. It depends on age as it will decrease over time, but the time to take it seriously is when it drops below 60. You haven't posted much info really, but other factors that need to be considered are any specific meds he may be taking, is he diabetic etc. For the moment though, as long as his egfr is above 60 he sounds perfectly healthy kidney wise as the creatinine level is 100% fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Donna

Matt is spot on unless there are any other issues he sounds fine

But i am not a doctor so you must seek opinion from a renal Dr

Thanks

• Posted

Hi thanks again. 

It’s only worrying as i have read so many different things. The doctors have flagged up the results as there normal level say 89-104 and his is 107. He’s getting a call back from the doctor today to discuss the results. His half sister died of kidney failure so it’s a big worry for us. Hopefully all is ok though and there just being over cautious 

• Posted

Donna, lets try to dissect this.   Your partners results were indicated in what is called micromoles.  Many labs and countries report it not in micromoles but in per ml.  Now when a blood test is given the results usually present to you if the result (in this case of 107) is high (H) or low (L).  If no indication is given then for your lab the normal is in the normal range.  Some labs say anything above 90 is high.  Others will say the highest number in the normal range is what your partner received, which was a 107.  For example the Mayo Clinic says 107 is in the normal range.  But in New Zealand 90 is the highest.  It is very lab and country dependent.  The best way to see if more information is to look at your partners blood test results and see what the GFR is.  The national kidney foundation website has a gfr calculator where you can enter basic information and it will indicate if it is normal or not based upon Creatinine level.  It requires to know if you are male, female, black, white, and age.  You did not indicate but I ran the number of 107 for you.  Both as a male and as a female, both as a black and as a white.  I did not indicate age.  In ALL instances the results indicated all if fine.  HOWEVER I am not a doctor.  Simply call your doctor and ask the question, is 107 normal?  Or look at the blood test and see if it is indicated as too high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.