Serum estradiol levels and implants/pellets/injections

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've been postmenopausal due to premature ovarian failure related to having a partial hysterectomy for nearly 20 years. My symptoms were managed for 7 years using estradiol pills. I was then switched to a patch which worked well for me for nearly 12 years...although I had to use a patch and a half of the highest dose patch. I'm from the US, but my patch was the Vivelle Dot  which is the same are the Estradot 100 in the UK. I can't say that I have ever felt completely normal after having my surgery and immediately experiencing ovarian failure when I was 35. I am now 54 and have been trying to find the right implant dose that works best for me. Here in the states, most implant/pellet docs insert very low estrogen doses and huge testosterone doses. That regiman really messed me up and it has taken my testosterone a year to decrease to a level where I feel well. I had to change doctors in order for that to happen. My new provider started me off by giving me 100 mg. E implant and 100 mg. T implant. I don't think he clearly understood that my testosterone was over the top. He lowered my testosterone implant to 50 mg. and left me estrogen implaint dose at 100 mg. during my last visit, gave me a 5 mg. depo estrogen shot to boost my level and keep me comfortable until the estrogen implant kicked in. As soon as the injection wore off, all of my symptoms returned. I have always had severely debilitating symptoms from low estrogen. My implant doctor does not dose based on lab work but by symptoms only. I recently visited my GP for my annual exam and he ran some routine blood work as well as a hormone level check. My estradiol level was 985.3 and my testosterone was 122 which is great. However, he flipped out over my high estradiol level. I had given myself and injection a couplf o days before and wonder how much it affected my estradiol reading. Now, my implant doctor who originally said that labs were "only numbers" wants to lower my estrogen implant dose and take the estradiol shots away. I feel the best I have felt in 20 years and am not having any side effects at all. Have any of you ever needed your estradiol/estrogen/oestrogen (all the same) levels as high as I seem to need mine in order to feel well?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barter,

you are not the first one reporting to feeling better with bioidentical estrogen injections. Try to research more online. Apparently, estrogen injections are more effective because they maintain a ration E2/E1 more beneficial than any other form of administration. So what you are saying doesn't come as a surprise...

• Posted

Hi Stell_a, really? I can't find much information about the injections online. Could you lead me to some links? Also, the estradiol injections I am using are the depo-estradiol cypionate injections 5 mg./ml. I've ran across information regarding the depo-estradiol valerate injections but can't find what the difference in cypionate and valerate is! I've wonder if they are equivalent. And, yes, I'd LOVE to forget the pellets and use the injections ONLY. I feel great using the injections.
    • Posted

Hi Barter, unfortunately the cypionate is not a bioidentical estrogen.

From Wikipedia

Estradiol cypionate, or estradiol cipionate, is a synthetic ester, specifically the 3-cyclopentylpropanoyl ester, of the natural estrogen, estradiol.[1][2] It was first introduced in 1952 by Upjohn in the United States,[3] and has been in widespread use since. Estradiol cypionate is absorbed more slowly than estradiol itself, and for that reason, it can be administered less often.[4] Compared to other commonly used estradiol esters, via the intramuscular route, estradiol cypionate was found to have the longest duration of action with a duration of ~11 days, while estradiol benzoate and estradiol valerate were found to last for 4–5 days and 7–8 days, respectively

We are also trying to get hold of bioidentical E2 injections but they are not available easily apparently.

As for the links, I asked my friend and I will get back to you when I have them.

• Posted

You know, I've had several people tell me that but that's not completely true. It's much like the Vivelle Dot patch in that it is derived from plants and is supposedly identical to what our bodies make. Also, like the Vivelle Dot, it is FDA approved. Here's a list of bioidenticals that are FDA approved in the U.S. I got this from the North American Menopause Society's website. 

Table. FDA-approved Bioidentical 

Hormone Therapy Products

Composition Product Name

Oral 17β-estradiol Estrace

Various generics

Oral estradiol acetate Femtrace

17β-estradiol matrix patch Alora

Climara

Esclim

Fempatch

Menostar

Vivelle

Vivelle-Dot

Various generics

17β-estradiol reservoir patch Estraderm

17β-estradiol transdermal gel EstroGel

Elestrin

Divigel

17β-estradiol topical emulsion Estrasorb

17β-estradiol transdermal spray Evamist

17β-estradiol vaginal cream Estrace vaginal cream

17β-estradiol vaginal ring Estring

Estradiol acetate vaginal ring Femring

Estradiol hemihydrates vaginal tablet Vagifem

Vagifem LD

Estradiol valerate injection Delestrogen

Estradiol cypionate injection Depot-estradiol

Oral micronized progesterone Prometrium

Vaginal progesterone cream Crinone*

Vaginal progesterone ovules Endometrin*

*FDA approved for infertility, not menopausal hormone therapy.

Complete information available on the NAMS website at http://www.menopause.org/docs/professional/tfpbio_0812.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.