Servere leg pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks. Any advice on nerve leg pain, I'm 52 male and I used to walk 3 miles a day to keep fit and keep the blood pressure down, but now I cant hardly walk from the house to the car outside. I had a terrible back pain and leg pain last Christmas and finally had a MRI few months later and results not good 2 discs damaged which is causing the leg nerve pain. Well my leg feels like a rubber leg only way I can describe it and the pain is incredible, I taken so many different drugs and nothing is touching it, I will see my doctors again and get a cmats appointment to see if injections in the discs will work while under xray as I cant see any other why to stop this pain apart from back surgery but on the NHS that could take 12months, can anyone tell me if they can suggest any drugs and if anyone has had injections and did that work? As I'm very tempted to try weed but I don't smoke or drink but not sure where to turn? Paul from Wales.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul

The usual things to try before surgery are

- physio 

- anti-epilepsy drugs like Lyrica or Neurontin

- a steroid injection into the epidural space to reduce inflammation of the affected nerves

I have had symptoms for a while you should go for the third one first as it is most likely to actually help the nerves. They are usually reasonably quick to get on the NHS.

What has the consultant that saw your MRI said?

• Posted

Physio made it worse never again, I'll try and push for steroid injections in the back and if that fails then I'll have no choice but to try surgery I suppose.

• Posted

totaly simpathize with you. just had my 2 nd op 9 weeks ago . my first op was an emergency DDD. my second spinal fusion. sadly for me the injections didnt work , infact both made me rather poorley spending 5 days in hospital. if you suffer from high blood pressure i would do some home work , it may make yhings worse.

my 2nd op was done at a private hospital via the nhs , i asked my doc to send me there as was been plamed of by the nhs hospital. the neurosurgen is fab . am still on the road to recovery so early days . but you have the right to be treated where u want and the nhs foot the bill. my friend s getting her op at same hospital she s only waited 2 month from start to finish. mine was about 6 as i have other health issues. good luck

• Posted

Yes its not nice to be in so much pain I just feel like asking the hospital to chop off my leg as its causing nothing but pain its so bad now its starting to get me very down and not enjoying life to much, but I'm sure there are people out there suffering worse than me, so I'll plod on and keep popping the pills that don't help! I'll go and see my GP and see what we can do from here, thing is they send you to a consultant and thats always a 3 months wait.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering. Pain medication wise nothing worked for Sciatica and foot drop for me apart from Pregabalin (Lyrica) but that was only prescribed once I'd been in hospital and seen the Neurologist but it might be worth asking your doctor about in the short term. I've had three nerve root block injections and only one of them worked only for a couple of weeks but they do work for some people so it's worth a try.

It sounds like you may need to see a Neurosurgeon to evaluate your MRI. They will want you to show that you've tried all conservative treatments first before considering operating. I was sent around the houses pretty pointlessly until I ended up in hospital repeatedly.

The pain is the worst, I can't think of anthing else like it even childbirth lol! You have my sympathy as I truely understand where you are coming from.

Good luck

Helen

• Posted

Thanks Helen. Hope your better and thanks for the advice I will ask the GP to arrange some pain injections or nerve blockers as some days the pain is so much I could jump off a cliff, I can live with the back pain its the bloody leg thats brinings me to tears at 52 wish I could chop it off to take the pain away but thats a bit over the top but its the thoughts you get when you are in so much pain and GPs don't take anything seriously wish I was a lottery winner then it would be private all they way, fingers crossed for a big win one day haha

• Posted

Hi Paul

There are plenty of things to try yet so don't give up.

The steroid injections (if they work) are better than a pain killer. They counteract the inflammation that is causing the pain. The problem is that the nerve bundle that handles all the senses and movement in your leg is itself inflamed, right near where it exits the spinal column and heads down to the leg itself. 

Because the nerve is being pushed around by the disc, it is inflamed. Nerves are very delicate so it doesn't take much. And as the nerve gets inflamed it gets swollen, so even more contact with the disc as there is no room. The inflammation causes the nerve to tell your brain "pain". As that nerve is responsible for sensation in the leg, that's where you feel the pain, even though the problem is not in your leg .

So a steroid injection is there to fight the inflammation. That should reduce the swelling, reduce the inflammation and the so reduce painful feelings.

But, if you don't fix the fact that the disc is pressing on the nerve then the problem will come back. Could be in weeks or could be months, but it will come back. But it buys you time.

So that is where physio, or worst case, surgery come in.

Hth

Michael

• Posted

Thanks Michael very helpful information, yes I'm going to push for a steroid injections but our GPs are hopeless down in west Wales you swear there paying for your steroid injections out of there own wages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.