set back

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks post op and have had a set back. At week 3 I was able to walk without my scooter and at week 4 I was not wrapped with extra cushion just regular tape and was able to cut bandage off a tend shower before returning to week 4 appointment. My foot by then was in terrible pain and am now back to non weight bearing. I am very discouraged that this is going to be a longer recovery than the 6 weeks my doctor told me. I have 2 small children and really wanted to enjoy some of the summer. I had a bunionectomy and 2 screws put in an. Any positive recovery stories of anyone who has experienced a set back??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie.

i cannot believe how many horror stories I am reading.

as I said before my op recovery is fantastic.

i had it done at Wrightington Hospital, by Mr Smith.

it,s world renowned hospital for this type of work.

hope you soon feel better. Laureen 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I keep hoping that if I continue to follow my doctors instructions then I will be up and around very soon. But for some reason I feel like he is setting me back. My last x-ray showed that my bone had not healed yet and there was a lot of room and my swelling was really bad and he took away my support until my last visit were I could barely get up because the pain w a s some bad and I went back 4 steps In this process. It is just so frustrating because I really want to be able to at least have some fun time with my kids before going back to school and is don't see that happening. We are suppose to go disney in September for my son's birthday and I feel like i will not be ready to go. Trying to think positive but so far I have really be let down.
  • Posted

hi  julie, i had both feet done and toe pinned on 11th May, my surgeon told me i would be back to some sort of normality and be able to go back to work within 5/6 weeks, i am not 10 weeks post op.. apart from dealing with one of the worse pain issues i have ever had, its also been an emotional rollercoaster of emotions too... due to the swelling which i was told would go once i had the pins out, nothing has changed i was then told by my surgeon that full recovery time, swelling, mobility i am looking at a year !!!!.... omg i could not believe what i was hearing and i can believe it too, i can not get any form of shoe on, people are saying put trainers on but my toes are so stiff and sore i can not have anything even touching them, the numbness also causes so much sensitivity i can not even have a cotton bed sheet on them i sleep with my feet hanging over the bed even at 10 weeks !!! i told my employee i would be back to work early July... but i cant not even drive i dont feel like i have any support strong enough.. even with an auto.  I did also inform the surgeon i was going on holiday on 11th August, ohooo yes dont worry your be fine up and running by then... if only !!!! My partner works away so the past four weeks i have been on my own... limping from toiliet to kitchen to lounge... thats about it.. as soon as i weight bear the swelling shows it ugly face and my toes become fat sausages again and so painful, i am usually a bubbly personality... but this had brought me down to a very low point, my sleep pattern is all mixed up, eating is mixed up as i dont have much appetite, the whole thing has not been how i thought at all.... is all i keep saying is never again !!! as for enjoying the summer i thought at this stage i would be but the hot weather only seems to make my feet swell even more... so what we were told julie a six week recovery is not..... i have read some good stories on here about quick painless recoverys but we are not all the same with healing.... but i am sure this long journey will soon show a brighter side for us both.... i am sorry if i have not wrote a very positive reply but i say it as it is julie... and will say more postive when it happens, however i do so feel for you, and i am sure future summers will be more enjoyable with our families... happy feet too x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. This recovery has been extremely discouraging. Going from walking to not walking and almost hitting 6 weeks is worse. The swelling is frustrating too as you said. My swelling is getting worse and worse as the days go by. I am back to full elevation, ice and ibuprofen. I am lucky to say that my incision sight is not that painful except for the feeling of the screws. I am told by everyone that will eventually go away or I will just get b used to it. I was very active before this surgery, going to the gym as much as I could and very active with my kids and I am not convinced I am going to be able to do that for a long time. This has become very depressing. I wish you the best of upcoming recovery and hope that we both are up and around soon!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.