Seton Drain and Perenial Abcess Removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I've suffered with a very painful fissure for 10 months, treating with Rectogesic cream and stool softeners, but every time it healed, it would open up a few weeks later and I was back to square one.  I thought I was just getting on top of it, when a skin tag around my anus swelled to the size of a marble and became extremely painful, then a big abscess came up behind my anus...I could barely walk with the pain.  

Long story short, went to A&E, got admitted for immediate surgery and had the abscess removed and seton drain installed.  

That was 2.5 weeks ago.  I'm in agony when I go #2, I'm bathing twice a day, using wet cloths between each bowel movement, as I work in an office, so a sitz bath is out of the question.  I sit in an Epsom salt bath every evening though. I'm keeping it as clean as I possibly can with my job.  

I don't know what to expect now.  My surgeon didn't talk to me upon departure from the hospital, so I was given zero information on this operation, zero info on post op care, just sent home and told to come back in 6 weeks.  

Will they remove the seton when I go back?  What's next?  Will I need further surgeries?  How long will I be in this pain?  Can I exercise?  Walking too much hurts, and I want to go swimming, as I feel that's fairly gentle, but will that cause infection?

I just don't know what to do with myself.  Very sorry state at the moment. 

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had a Seton, but I know with open wounds swimming isn't a good idea. Especially in public pools and hot tubs. There is a lot of bacteria and infection can occur. Is the Seton a thread or hard? Loose setons keep the hole open so it doesn't heal over and re absess while the hard setons are meant for cutting and cut through sphincter muscle. Did they say you have a fistula?

• Posted

Hi, check google for more info re seton, I found some that helped. I currently have a seton in, was done 3 weeks ago. The seton is there to help drain and depending on how deep the abscess is, will depend on how long the seton will be in and how quick you can. I'm in Australia and this is my 9th surgery on the same spot, now very deep abscess fistula and I've always obtained  a hospital discharge letter and a chat with the surgeon. You should call the hospital or surgeon clinics and try and get some information. Pain is unbearable, I also work in an office and currently standing at my desk all day. I've found that painkillers help, almost too hot salt baths (evening), rest as much as possible, talk about it as much as possible for mental piece of mind. I wrote a post about two months ago about my seton hell from my previous experience and completely understand, but unfortunately it seems to be different for everyone, I found in my last experience I got increasingly worse, ended up bedridden and apparently (I now know) they did the seton incorrectly. However now I have finally experienced so far a successful seton placement with quick healing, minimal pain  and increasingly getting better. Another indication is making sure week to week you're feeling better not worse. Don't go swimming, only do the salt soaking bath for 15-20 mins and love exercise too, but I won't until I'm completely healed. Oh and my diet is veg and fruit , seems to also help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.