Seton - fistula

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I am waiting to have surgery to put a seton in place to fix a fistula. I just wanted to know how painful or difficult the recovery is?

At the moment I don't have much pain but the fatigue is so bad! It's stopping me from doing anything. Has anyone else experience bad fatigue with access or fistulas?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi James I was really lucky my fistula was superficial I had it laid flat yesterday mine was 6 cm in let and 5cm in depth I've heard the section is more or less the same as I have had only deeper into tissues ur still have fatigue for a while after and have some pain but the sergen should inject u with some long term pain relief which suprisely helps I'm almost 25 hours post op and not really experience that much pain just tired also I've not opened my bowls today. So can't tell u if that hurts yet keep up the pain relief and lacitve should help and. Also the section will remove by itself over time once it done it job pending on how deep it is

• Posted

Hi Sian,

I ready your earlier post. I am glad you've had it done. Fingers crossed for you. 

I found out today that my surgery is next Wednesday. I am happy as hopefully soon after having the seton I can get back on track. It's affecting my work. 

Anyhow thanks for the comments. I hope you get well soon. 

Good luck with your first toilet trip.

• Posted

Thank you James

Yes it's a strange feeling looking forward to an op the amount of people that ask me was I mentally prepare for it . The thing is it's such a relief to have it and look forward to getting on with life once more it's so hard to infer how much of your life is taken up by it than when it's over it's the best feeling keep on top of ur pain meds and plenty of rest

• Posted

Hey James, I have a seton placement in the anal area. It sux and I had 20 surgeries on it. Drain, new seton, tubes. You don't want to go through that. You want only 2. Get this seton out and close it up it as soon as you can. To keep it flared free, you need to eat healthy diet. Do sitz baths during showers, and the most important thing to do is to put turmeric and cold press Castro oil on the fistula and anal area. For every bowel movement and before bed. You do this and this seton will only last 6 months or less. If you need more details on this let me know. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jeff

Thank you very much for this. I've wrote it down! Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.