Setraline 50mg 2 weeks, not seeing an improvement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Ive been taking sertraline 50mg for 15 days now, this is the first anti depressant ive been prescribed. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for around 6 years (i am 19 now). Since taking sertraline my anxiety has increased a huge amount, i wake up feeling anxious over nothing and i am still seeing huge dips in my mood. I am wondering whether i need my dosage upped or will i start seeing the benefits soon? i am becoming fed up of the anxiety and cant really focus on anything else, i also have my university exams coming up in 2 weeks so the stress is really getting to me. 

Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Abbie,

Welcome! I started taking sertraline about 8 weeks ago, on 50mg.The increased anxiety, particularly on waking, sounds very familiar and for me this started to improve about week 3 to week 4. I went up to 100mg after 7 weeks and am doing ok so far.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't rush to up your dose just yet. Give it a few more weeks to see how you go, and in the meantime perhaps talk to your GP to see if there's anything else you can do about the increased anxiety, particularly with your exams coming up. 

Could you defer the exams if you needed to, or resit? Obviously not ideal, but giving yourself the option would take some pressure off perhaps.

• Posted

Hi Abbie I am on week 5 of sertraline and it does work it just needs time to work. Think of your body as a car when it's running fast for ages it will use oil but never replace any eventually causing it to breakdown. Our bodies when stressed and anxious don't produce enough serotonin to replace whatever we use and eventually we become ill. The sertraline slowly refills the serotonin which helps us feel better again.

I know it's hard and it may look bleak but it does get better I couldn't leave the house in the first 2 weeks now I'm much better

• Posted

So dave im on week 6 and feel good mentaly and can leave the house,but im so tired all the time and weak,do you think its still because all the anxiety has worn my body out?,and wil it get better do u think?.
  • Posted

Hi Abbie, unfortunately it does increase the anxiety for about three weeks then settles. You may need to get a medication to help with that until it kicks in. Will be very hard to study. Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice, its good to here that people are doing better after week 5. I think im just getting fed up of the anxiety, ive decided to defer my exams which has calmed me down a lot but im really looking forward to feeling normal again.
    • Posted

I can tell you that after 5 weeks on this you will wonder what you were feeling in the way of rubbish  effects. I think you have done the best thing in deferring your exams as you will still be tired in two weeks. As soon as you feel stronger get out and do stuff. In a few months time you will feel great; yes, honestly. You might have something extra just to deal with and  panicky intrusions but you will feel so much better.

All the very best when you do your exams.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.