Setraline experience (day 11)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I got started on Setraline for the first time ever 11 days ago. All that I have taken before that was Xanax years ago and never refilled the prescription so this is a change for me. Through the side effects, reading these forums have helped calm me down and get me through it so I thought I’d post to hopefully help someone else.

The toughest side effect I’ve had to deal with is the insomnia. On day 1-6 I slept 2 hours a night. It was really rough. But in the past when I had gotten little sleep, I’d have anxiety all day long. Because of the setraline I was actually able to make it through the day on such little sleep. Now I’m sleeping about 5-6 hours a night. Hoping it keeps getting better. (I take it in the morning at 11am).

When I had he insomnia I would wake up with a pain in my stomach and nausea. I’m realizing this isn’t some random side effect this is actually hunger from the loss of appetite. So forcing yourself to eat is a biiiig deal. Especially before bed. Once I started making sure I didn’t go to bed with my stomach empty a lot changed. Oh and I also have chamomile tea just before bed.

Now, the past 4 or 5 days I have been waking up with the shakes and anxiety. One day the anxiety lasted all day long. Usually I level out within an hour or 2 of waking up. But I’m telling you if you’re anxious, read these forums of people’s experiences. It will do wonders for your random anxiety attacks from the medication.

My lungs have felt a little weak and I definitely have been losing weight. I was lifting weights and eating a ton before this but with these side effects I don’t feel comfortable going back yet, so that’s a little annoying but small price to pay.

What else... oh yesterday was fun. On the first day of taking it I got a little random happy spell. Just smiling for no reason. And I hadn’t felt that since. Yesterday, I had a giant smile and laughing fits the entire drive downtown (I’m in LA so an hour or so). And when I got to work I felt goooood. Productive and happy and energetic. Later on I leveled out but it’s actually kinda nice and fun feeling that.

The main thing I’ve noticed and the biggest tip I can give, is even though I know the medication isn’t working the way it’s intended to yet, there are some strengths you have you can play off. It has been so much easier to control my thoughts since day one. I’ve had OCD forever and it’s often really tough to change my thinking. Now, I can switch focus fairly easily.

The way I’ve described this pill to curious friends and family is, you have to really want it. “It’s not like I can give you a pill and you’re fine for that day. All you’ll get out of it is diarrhea,” is usually my go to line. So let your friends, family, HR, etc., know you’re on new medication that can take a few weeks to settle in so be patient. I’ve been lucky enough to only have to take one day off work and have a super cool boss who’s assured me if I ever need to just get up and go, it’s cool. I know not everyone has that luxury but sometimes just letting them know it’s temporary helps.

Anyway, If you’ve made it this far, I’m rooting for you. We’re all really in this together, doctors don’t have all the answers. Sometimes it takes a stranger on the internet to let you know it’s okay.

I’ll try to post again soon with any updates.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

It how's day 12 😁. I'm in day 10 of dose increase to 50mg and having a better day

• Posted

Day 12 has been good! A little drowsy after the dose and a little bit of that in my own head feeling but I noticed today that I seem to have way more clarity about my life. Before when I thought about serious things a part of me felt like “yeah but you’ll never actually do it” and I wouldn’t. But today anything I thought about felt like it has conviction behind it. And that helped my confidence in the medication a lot. I’ve been trying to pay attention to the changes in my mind and listen to those positives as opposed to the side effects and it seems to be helping. How has your experience been!?
    • Posted

I took my son to a busy indoor play area today and was a bit manic, I survived though 😁 just home now and watching tv whilst my head clears but don't feel too bad. I'm going to do some yoga tonight when my kids are in bed as that always relaxes me, I've also been doing mindful meditation which calms my mind too, although my 3 year old thinks it's very boring 😂

• Posted

Haha! I’m finding that kids are actually making this whole thing a bit easier. Granted I’m just an uncle but I’m defintely enjoying those moments of my 3 year old nephew strangling my leg while I stomp around the house or the 7 year old asking me questions about things I liked when I was his age more. I’m sure the responsibility of actually caring for a human life can be a stressor but man those happy moments seem to mean much more now don’t they? 
  • Posted

Day 13

Yesterday was kinda rough. Anxiety through the roof but it didn’t shut me down like it used to. No appetite but that was probably from the anxiety more than anything. I had that feeling of wanting to call it quits on everything and abandoning my life to join a traveling circus or something (I think I’d market myself as a mutant of some sort) but I was able to confront that voice and tell it to shut up. I’m taking baby steps in confronting the problems in my life that have caused all my anxieties but when you’ve had anxiety and OCD for as long as you can remember, that’s a lot of baggage to unpack. But it’s getting better. I’m getting better. And I’m staying positive. Little victories.

• Posted

Day 14

I’m realizing I’m posting these in the morning about the day before so that kinda makes no sense? But this helps clear my head before I head off to work so screw it. 

I’ve noticed the past few days I’ve felt more tired. However last night I slept soooooo god damn much and today I feel pretty alive. From about 8p - 11p I was in and out of sleep taking constant accidental naps and waking up briefly only to fall asleep again. And then I slept from 11p - 7am which is honestly the longest I’ve slept since I started taking the medication. And I feel like a weight has been lifted. 

My appetite has gone down a little bit again which is upsetting because I thought I was doing better. But that could be because I skipped a meal so it made me nauseous and threw me off entirely. I’ll be forcing myself into 3 meals today. 

The initial most difficult symptoms have gone away mostly but it seems like my moods are being affected now. I’m sort of up and down but it’s definitely spread out more.

Oh! I got mad and snapped at someone yesterday! And I mean that as a good thing. I was actually worried this medication would make me a door mat. Victim of intense bullying so it took me a long time to learn to start standing up for myself. It’s good to know that fire inside me is still there. 

I’ve always felt that the purpose of life is emotion and to feel strongly about things. There’s so much energy behind emotion. They can affect your body, your surroundings, and other people. Hell even animals sense emotion. So being able to feel those feelings without crippling anxiety is a huge deal. 

I’m feeling very optimistic today.

• Posted

It's a good sign it is working, I'm working on positive thought. Have you done headspace? It's really good, basically it tells you to live with anxiety but shows you how to control it better, to see it as a thought that can't hurt you. To label it as anxiety then to focus on the present. Ps have you been to work or just going.

• Posted

I haven’t used headspace yet but I do intend to once I’m able to focus a bit more. I also have a book I’m going to start that my doctor recommended called Mind Over Mood. I’m hoping that works out as well. I have been going to work yeah. I’ve only had to take 1 day off luckily. And that was after the first night when I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep.
  • Posted

Not having a good day today. Head keeps going to negative places. I don’t want to eat and all I wanna do is lay in bed and sleep. I think I’m depressed. Hoping for a clearer head tomorrow. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.