setraline for anxiety, about to start 50mg can anyone tell me if they felt ok in the first week

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just about to start setraline for anxiety 50mg, how do you feel when first taking it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

sertaline is a SSRI selective Seratonin reuptake inhibitor, 50mg is a start dose and will most likely be upped. Now for the bad news these types of medication can take 2-8 weeks to take full effect but there will be side effects. Common are sleep disruption, shakes, nausea and possibly because of these an increase in anxiety. Sounds great doesn't it. But they will work and what is important is to remember that medication is a tool and there are other tools available to you, meditation, relaxation etc, if you are interested just ask but don't worry. Take the meds stay strong in yourself and remember we are here if you need to talk.

have strength David

• Posted

Thank you for the reply it's nice to hear other people's experiences
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on sertraline now for 3 months, at first I had decreased appetite n felt sick with diarrhoea, dizziness, muscle aches n pins n needles. Also my anxiety went through the roof but that will subside after time. Docs say it takes around 6-8 weeks for the tabs to take any proper effect. So please don't think they will work straight away as they don't. Side effects do tend to fade after the first two weeks. I now am feeling a hell of a lot better now (feel more human) than I have for ages.

Please give them time to work as a lot of people decide to stop them after 3 or 4 weeks as feel no better.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Sarah I have just been described the same anti d's and am worried about the affects.  I was on citalopran 5 yrs ago and anxiety went through the roof.  I am hoping that this time it will be a little better.  Good luck x
    • Posted

I'm really nervous about starting them as I'm off on hols on Friday so that's why I asked, although my hubbie has just come off them after 18 months and he was not bad starting on them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.