Setraline Side Effects (Intrusive Thoughts)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

New to this forum, but looking to get some much needed reassurance for my younger sister who started sertraline a week ago.

She has been prescribed 50mg per day... she has been struggling with OCD tendencies for a little while (this is largely routines and sequences, tapping etc) and intrusive thoughts - these thoughts have intensified in the last week, with one particular thought that she finds very distressing and cant get out of her head... she has vivid images that pop into her head that frighten her, and she cant find any reassurance from us.

Did anyone have any similar experiences with these kind of side effects? We can see it as higher levels of anxiety, but she seems unable to see thats whats it is.

thanks in advance, Liz

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

I'm literally only on my 4th day and today has been the worst.

I haven't had any distressing images as such but today I'm struggling with my mind racing and thoughts going wild that just jump one to another. I found that putting on the TV helped to concentrate on just one thing (and some ice cream).

From reading many posts it seems that people experience different symptoms.

Currently on top of my mind I have a head cold and some shallow breathing which is probably a result of the cold as I have Asthma.

I hope your sister is alright. I would try to keep her going on the medication as apparently after 2 weeks or so it does get better.

All the best.

• Posted

I have suffered from intrusive thoughts for 26 years. They are hell when they are bad. Mine was controlled by Paxil for 22 years then stopped working. I tried two others but neither takes them away 100%. I have been on Sertraline but have had to go up to 200 mg in order to keep them about 90% out. Your sister needs to talk to her doctor or a physiatrist if they continue. It takes a long time to find the right medication. In the meantime remind her that this is only an intrusive thought that is part of her disease. It is so good that she tells you about them. I was ashamed of them and it took years for me to accept that I wasn't making them happen. for me they are something that gets better and then worse much like a fever and when they are at the worst they seem so real and I kick into my coping routine. Mine is researching everything about what I am afraid of and seeking reassurance from professionals. I am getting better at realizing what these thoughts are and that they will pass. Hoping your sister finds the correct medications for her. Let her know she is not alone and it is possible to have a good live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.