Seven flare ups of Diverticulitis in two years----

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all: I am new to this forum and looking for help and some answers-- I am 78 years old with chronic constipation for which I use magnesium every other day. On the days I don't use it I don't go the next day but I am not uncomfortable. I take a large dose so I don't want to take it every day and I am up all night going to the bathroom: giving this info so you will have some history. Also had a large sigmoid polyp removed in 2018- was very close to being cancer. I am supposed to have another colonoscopy this year. In June 2019 I suffered an acute attack of diverticulitis. Lots of pain, went to the ER, had CT scan which was diagnostic for acute diverticulitis- took antibiotics and recovered. Since then I have had seven non-acute attacks of diverticulitis. I say non acute because I did not need to go to the ER and most of the time I did not require antibiotics. I am perplexed as to why I keep getting these attacks. For two years I didn't eat nuts, corn, or anything that I thought could cause an attack, and still get an attack of diverticulitis. From my review of medical literature, diverticulitis is related to constipation, but I take laxatives and this keeps me going regularly: I read that doctors do not feel nuts, corn, etc. are the cause of diverticulitis. thank you for listening.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.