Seven months off Zop, still not sleeping, finally answer.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I did it all slowly.  Got praise from docs. 7 months later still on herbals to sleep but wanted off them too.  And wanted, after all my efforts, to sleep more than 4 hours.Then my husband died 5 weeks ago.  Still did not give in, but can't understand stories i

of just a few bad nights then sleeping.  Went to see my psychiatrist this week.  She had been in holiday when my husband died. Halfway through the session, she leaned forward and commented on a swelling in my neck. I don't see it, but feels puffy, and my voice is gravelly.  Has been for ages.  All out down to stress.  Blood test, she said, and if normal, a scan.  The test was normal. The doc said yes, there is something there.  And it can affect your voice. Yes, said my sister, and it can make your hair do fall out!,  My ongoing problem.  Also scalp itch.  Also - get this.  It can affect your sleep.  So, just Heads up to check is you're not sleeping more than 4 hours, and tired.  Blood tests do NOT show thyroid disease completely.  My brain, even with less sleep is more alert.  If I get this checked and it IS my thyroid, man, I'll be dangerous!  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I have three of these problems and low thyroid is in the family. Thanks for the heads up, Cass. Seeing my doctor on Monday, so will discuss with him.
  • Posted

Weldone getting off zop cass ??that's great news I hope your really proud of yourself.. especially through losing your husband really sorry to hear that. . Can I ask what herbal sleep aid you use.. I used herbal stuff once & couldnt stop itching ..waking me up it was that bad.. I thought my bed had flees or mites brought back from Turkey .. but there was no bites ..I hoovered my bed even changed my washing powder ect.. ???? I'm so stupid never think of side effects.. I think I'm going down that slippery road right now & need to stop before it gos out of control...

when will u no for sure about your swelling?? Just gos to show how little I no .. never thought swelling would show for your thyroid. I'm tested every 3months .. x

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Are you having a problem with prescribed sleeping medication?

Or even bought -on-the-internet sleeping medication?

If you're worried about this, stay with us and we'll help you, if you want to start your own Discussion.

The thyroid gland frequently swells when it isn't functioning correctly and it's usually pretty slow so you don't notice.

Hope you're getting on ok.                                       love Tess xx

• Posted

Hi tess.. I get zopiclone from the doctor I get 14 tablets at a time ..that's when I pt my monthly script in. I make the last the while month.. which means maybe 2 hours sleep at around 6am when I don't take them ?? I can get more ..well I have done before bt I'm trying not to rely on them totally.. don't no what to do now ..my sleep is just terrible.. thanks tess hope u are too xx

• Posted

Is your thyroid high or low? i just checked my results from last blood test and my numbers are high.
  • Posted

Oh, Cass, I can't believe how strong you're being about all this.

I am very sad to read that your husband has recently died. You sound like an amazingly brave woman who has taken charge of her health and life. Amazingly good abut the zopiclone taper - but if you've just had a major bereavement it's not really surprising that you're not sleeping well - at the moment.

You are quite right about thyroid disorders affecting your sleep. Have you had the scan yet? You might (probably will) need medication for life if a thyroid problem is discovered but your hair will stop falling out and a lot of other things will improve in your general health, too.

I am in awe, really, that with all this going on, you haven't caved in and grabbed some more zopiclone. Or Xanax. Or anything! Wow.

If you're going to become dangerous, please tell me where you live so that I don't run into you. Only kidding, sorry.

So some devastating things and sounds like more to come (one of those bizarre US sentences of 999 years in jail - with no possibility of parole, if you get TOO dangerous.

My love to you and keep us posted.                     Tess xx

• Posted

I just found out for sure yesterday that I need thyroid meds which I will pick up today. The doctor and I agree not to start the Havarti until that is stablized. Good news is a new blood test yeaterday showed that my liver is still operating normally!!

Other good news, the Clonidine finally kicked in on the blood pressure. From over 200/100 to NORMAL. First time in months.

• Posted

Had the scan today Tess,  Results to come in two days.  But checked Graves disease, and have about 10 of 15 symptoms listed.  I am SO ticked off.  My bp got up to 180/90.  They just doubled my meds, while I was saying; but why cant  we find out WHy by bp has gone up?  Everything was because of stress.  I am sure it had a part, but this is a breakthrough.  Glad others said they have thyroid probs as well as being on zop.  I dont believe anyone is unique for diseases.  Now find my eyes being dry and blinking all the time are likely Graves too as the eye gets swollen with this disease.  I was told to buy eye drops.  Grrr.
  • Posted

Cass, first of all and most importantly, sorry your loss. You seem like a very strong lady. If you are sleeping for 4 hrs at a stretch well done. I'm off zopiclone 6 weeks and waken energy night at 2 am, always drift off again and usually have my longest sleep between 3 and 8. I feel tremendously proud. I reckon the therapy is the most valuable thing and if I could afford it would go once a month for the rest of my life. You are doing so well, especially with your medical ups and downs. Be strong, be proud and keep going!

• Posted

Hi cass

Did you have to see your shrink to get of your zopiclone and how did you manage and on what pills did you take instead

My shrink wants to put me on pregabalin but not sure I want to take them and he reckons to come of my zops would only take me a month any advice I'm on 15mg but down to 7.5mg and half

• Posted

Well, Kelly, you need a new shrink - fast.

I'm STILL tapering off zop by using diazepam (the approved method) and after six months am on 18 mg diazepam daily.

I do wish doctors had some SENSE. A month, indeed! It should be very very slowly, using diazepam (valium) and it could easily take a year or more.

Don't take pregabalin for withdrawing from zop or any benzo.

Pregabilin is good for anxiety but as it is not a benzo it cannot and does not help with withdrawing from drugs which are.

• Posted

It was my GP gave me the zop 7 - 10  years ago.  Dont go on it at all.  To my dismay, my neice, late 30's 3 kids, fibromyalgia et al has been put on zop as she took a sleep test and was waking every 6 minutes.  She thinks she is sleeping now.  Has zop for 2 months, and her doc wants her to quit cold turkey.  Unbelievable what these docs dont know.  I now find I have thyroid problem which WAS diagnosed by my shrink!  Last week she leaned forward as we were talking and told me, saying to go get a scan, not just a blood test.  I have 10 symptoms of maybe 15 shown  for Graves disease.  Been begging and asking for help for months.  Stress, they all said, you are fine.  Don't give up, but dont come off zop quickly.  It took months, and I am still on herbal meds, as now I find that the bad sleep is due to the thyroid.  So all could end up well.

• Posted

I am so happy for you Cass. I went to my doc. yesterday...thyroid problem verified, start meds tomorrow. looking forward to sleeping like a normal person. I can't thank you enough for your original post that gave me the heads up on possible thyroid problem. Bless you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.