Seven weeks after ankle replacement surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an ankle replaced 8 yrs ago and now the other ankle has been replaced due to rheumatoid arthritis,however this time cast came off after 2 was replaced with a removable boot. 7 was after surgery I have no pain but still a bit swollen, I am slightly weight bearing now and have quite good movement in ankle . Still using crutches . Does anyone know when I can remove boot permantly I am 63 yrs old 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

I get my ankle replacement in 3-3-2015 and have now 8 weeks since then, I allways have user the walkwer boot, after 1 week I remove the boot to sleep and start the ankle movement, at the end of week 3 I start partial weight bearing, at end of week 4 I have started the fisio and leave the walker boot and start use my hunting boots,at week 7 I walk with full weight bearing, I have some pain in the heel and in the right side of the foot (right foot) but with no big problem, now at end of the week 8 I have much less pain, until now I am happy with the procedure, I am 54 years old, the procedure was made in Portugal

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback👍wk 7 for me & I am partially weight bearing ( with no pain ) but after being out n about on crutches, I feel it a bit achy but not for long.👍 I take boot off when watching TV , back on when going to loo LOL . Please keep in touch with your progress.
    • Posted

I am 63 yrs & live in Scotland. Do you live in Portugal ?
  • Posted

Hi Catherine

I had mine done in 2002.  I remember being told to walk, weight bearing, in an air cast stirrup support after 2 weeks,  After 4 weeks I was backto driving a car.  I'm not sure if that helps, but if you are comfortable and relatively pain free then I say 'go for it'.

Out of curiosity, did you or do you get the DLA or PIP payment for having the prosthesis put in.  I am thinking of applying for it and wondered if anyone had successfully got it?

Mary

• Posted

2008 I had my right 1 done. Great success as I love walking my wee dog. The procedure has changed since then . Last time I was in cast for 12 wks this time cast came off after 2 wks then on with the removable boot. I did not go to physio last time , but going this time & do not see the surgeon for 11 wks after op. Thx for your feedback 👍 & no I do not get PIP /DLA 👎
  • Posted

Update  9 was after ankle replacement , damaged ligaments fixed & Achilles' tendon stretched . I am in both trainers now & only 1 crutch. It's weird , a wee bit tight but no pain although after a wee while. I need to rest it but happy with progress so far.. 
    • Posted

Hi, what does " I am in both trainers mean?"

I had my TAR 4/3 am total weight bearing but it is painful on left side of left foot. I am 64 years old. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.