Sever Inside Ankle Pain for over 1 Year

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys. Over a year ago (8/18/18 to be exact) I was playing basketball outside before moving into my dorm and I went for a dunk and came down on my right ankle and rolled it. Immediately I wasn't able to stand or walk but about an hour later the pain subsided enough to where I could walk. The next day I decided to go to the doctor because my foot was black and blue and I was diagnosed with an ankle sprain. The x-rays came back negative so I was given a brace and crutches for a month. The pain was subsiding for about a month until it just stopped getting better. I couldn't run or jump or do any quick cuts but walking was fine. I scheduled a doctors appointment and was put in a boot for a month. The pain didn't get any better. I took an MRI and the results came back negative besides for some scar tissue. After being told it'll "just take time", I started to see a podiatrist. Once I saw this new doctor, I took yet another x-ray which also came back negative. I was prescribed anti-inflammatories and one month of PT. Once I got to PT, the therapist told me he believes I had Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. The PT helped increase my range of motion but the pain didn't subside any. After that I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Voltrin which I've been putting on for about two months now. I also got shoe inserts to support my arches, but nothing has changed since two months after the injury. The doctor also told me he doesn't believe I have tendonitis because it would have shown up in the MRI, so I'm officially lost at this point. I'm only 19, I miss running and playing sports. There's also a bit of swelling but I assume that's either calcification or scar tissue. Please help me, I can't afford to get more MRIs and X-rays.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

wow! I'm guessing that the doctor you went to was a orthopedic! I really don't know but hopefully somebody that might have been through something like this might answer and be able to help you. I know you must be going crazy. Best wishes and Good Luck

• Posted

you may have torn some ligaments my husband did something similar and xrays showed nothing he was ok about a week later but still has pain in that ankle due to torn ligaments

he ices it and takes advil when its really sore

of course im just guessing here for you but not sure if that issue has been addressed or not for you

• Posted

Eddie,

You'll have to go to a Orthopedic surgeon. Trust me on this... they do not like to do surgery. but you may need it. Sounds like maybe a torn ligament or even if it is scar tissue , nothing is going to take that pain away. You can have surgery to clean it out. And don't forget , any trauma to your limbs or anything for that matter will produce arthritis and a surgeon can help you out with that.

Sorry for your pain. But you'll be told a sprain over and over again.

Get to a Ortho .... Good luck! ******

• Posted

Hey there. The whole ice, elevate, warm soaks, PT has helped in my case. Apparently this will be ongoing till next spring. I stumbled across some great vids on you tu.be The guys, Bob and Brad, are fantastic Physical Therapists. I have followed their advice on a few things and it has served me well. I do agree with others in that it is high time to call on the big dog, the Ortho Surgeon.

You are going to make young man. Sorry for your troubles... it will be okay! -Di.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.