Several times I've had soreness, tenderness along both sides of rib cage,under arm,.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Feels like a rubber and around under breasts. Had every test, said chondrites. But why does it keep coming back.  Not convinced  worried 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you mean costochondritis? I had it for three months and it was extremely  painful.  I was diagnosed on the spot after a short physical examination after describing my symptoms to the doctor.  No tests were needed.  I had pain in the exact same places as you.  I was told to take painkillers and wait it out. I got it in October of 2014 and my doctor told me it would clear up in Janurary of the following year and it did.  Some people have it chronically while with others it can go away completely or keep coming back.  For me, the pain felt like a pulled muscle at firsr and inititially I put it down to that. I asked the doctor what causes it and she said no one really knows but stress is thought to be a factor and that year I had had a lot of stress that year.  I was told to take Nurofen for the pain and use a non wired bra but in the end, I didn't have to because the pain cleared up.  I have been one of the lucky ones and the pain never came back.  Sometimes simple X Rays are used to confirm it if the doctor can't idenrify it from your symptoms alone.

So trust your doctor and believe in your diagnosis.  Don't worry because iit willl make the pain worse.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, just tired of it, also have had a tremendous amount of stress lately, working on that!   Thanks!
    • Posted

Since you have had all the tests, the best thing to do is to manage the pain with painkillers and try distraction techniques such as listening to music to take your mind off the pain.  The only thing you can do is to wait it out.  In many cases it does get better?
    • Posted

Hi,

I would be very careful with opiates/painkillers, because they are extremely constipating (I took them for 7 years) for severe back pain, and it might make matters worse. Check with your Doctor about other possible solutions. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Many times, after several weeks, it resolves on it's own. However, you can take medication and injections to help manage the pain. If it continues, ask your Doctor for more tests to see if anything else is going on. Keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.