Severe abdominal pain and diarrhea after open cholecystectomy. What should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I had open cholecystectomy in 2012. Since then I am having severe abdominal pain, diarrhea 4-5times,nausea, heaviness, weakness and body aches. I have also consulted my surgeon and various gastroentrologists but no vain. I do not take fatty foods. Kindly help me out.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tayyaba

hi

well you’ve lived with it for 6 years , correct ?

and been to docs and surgeons but could not help correct !

have you tried eating some fats ? If not maybe you should try !!

also have you tried taking ox bile ? If not try it !

have you tried digestive enzymes and probiotics? If not try, as I don’t see you have anything to lose !!!!

• Posted

I have taken probiotics and digestive enzymes but it also does not work. Dr has advised me to not take fats not even healthy fats like olive oil or clarified butter. Not 06 years up till now because I had cholecystectomy in June 2012.

I am really thankful for your concern and advise.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  A surgeon wouldn't be able to help. And you said "various" gastroenterologists haven't helped, either.  Did any of them administer tests, if so, what were they and what were the results? 

• Posted

I had various test like celiac panel test in which gene test came positive and IBD pannel test in which crohns test came positive but endoscopy and colonoscopy was negative for both.

I have consulted my surgeon because I thought it could complication of surgery but no vain.

I am really thankful for your concern which means a lot to me.

• Posted

any reason why you had open cholescystomy and what were the symptoms before removing the gb ?
    • Posted

In my case laproscopic cholecystectomy was not advised because I am sensitive due to premature birth and having various health issues since birth. Secondly my gall bladder was too much deeper so it was difficult to remove through laproscopic procedure. It was very inflammed and had one small stone. Thanks a lot for your concern.
    • Posted

My symptoms were severe abdominal pain on left side with diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and heaviness all the time.
  • Posted

For diarrhea, have your doctor prescribe Cholestyramine.   It is a powder you mix with water and drink at least twice a day when you are having the issue.   It WILL cause constipation if you take when you aren't having diarrhea but it a life changer when you are having it!    For the pain, mine was caused by acid that "leaks" into your stomach when your gallbladder is removed (mine has been out for 15 years!).   The doctor prescribed omerprazole, 40 mg, which is a time-released capsule, but you can buy omerprazole, 20 mg at the drug store in the U.S. and take a minimum of 3 a day and it will help take care of the acid, which can feel like a heart attack.   The gastroentrologists SHOULD be able to do some kind of test; mine JUST did a scope into my stomach and removed 50 cc's of bile, which greatly relieved the pain and misery I was having.   I wish you luck, but these two drugs will help, if you can get them.   

• Posted

My gastroentrologist has advised me Cholestyramine sachet but it was not effective. Thanks for your advise. It means a lot to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.