Severe abdominal pain but no gallbladder. SOD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had three episodes of severe upper abdominal pain (2 last year the other yesterday) that I couldn't move and wish I was 💀. Yesterday happened after I took a pill of co codamol for a toothache.  Last 2 times I blame my gastritis for the intense pain.  I'm start thinking that it's not just the gastritis I had for over a year but it could be SOD ( sphincter of oddi dysfunction) because of the similar extreme upper abdominal pain of gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed in 2014 and the pain I had is similar to the one now without the gb. Oh my God the pain is so bad and there's nothing I can take for it. I hope doesn't happen so soon I don't have a clue what triggers it but I'll be staying away from meds such as the co codamol ( opioids). I really hope it's not SOD but this pain yesterday made me feel very depressed just like when I had gb attacks! Has anyone been with similar experience and found out was it was?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

when is the last time you saw a dr.  i had to go to 3 to find out my problem.  did you get a ct scan etc
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder out 20 odd years ago and only recently I have been experiencing the most excruciating pain in the upper quadrant just like a gall bladder pain. I have to put it down, in my case, to too much acid or too much fruit. I also noticed I feel very sick if I have too much cream, butter or anything dairy.  I hope that helps you 
  • Posted

You still get can stones despite not having a gallbladder, so it's possible you have a stone stuck in your bile ducts.  SOD is still a possibility, however. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.