Severe acid reflux with no relief from meds??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 22 years old and was diagnosed with GERD two mongs ago after experiencing symptons for over a year. I'm prescribed Omeprazole (prilosec) which hasn't seemed to ease the pain at all. After telling my doctor this he said it could take time for my body to get used to the medicine and actually start putting it to use. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their acid reflux and medicnie not working for you? I have severe heartburn all day, worse in the mornings, some mornings I will throw up stomach acid, I've tried taking zantac while taking my prescription, also drinking plenty of water and tums/rolaids but nothing seems to relieve the pain even a little. Also, I know you are not supposed to consume alcoholic beverages because of their high acidity, but is it normal after one sip of a drink to immediately have terrible heartburn?

Thanks for anyone who can help, I really cant afford to keep going to the doctor.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel you pain!! I'm 25 . For the last 4 months I've been so sick. Finally had an endoscopy done and I have GERD, reflux esophagalitis.... the medicine has not helped. I'm on the same as you. I want to feel better so badly and get my life back. I'm nauseous 24/7 and have chest pains from the acid. My stomach feels so acidic all the time! Wish I could make this go away for the both of us. I haven't even tried to drink any alcohol because I'm afraid I'll just feel worse.

• Posted

I feel your pain folks. Best thing I found and would recommend to anybody is google the GERD diet and stick to it as best as u can. Avoid the foods that will make u worse and then raise the top of your bed 6 inches.
  • Posted

You day your taking Zantac tums are you waiting at least two hours inbeteeen for each house different one you take because if not they will work against each other and you will get more problems gaviscon is a good one to try but always wait 2hours between taking your meds
    • Posted

Yes I have been waiting like the doctor said to do. Is gaviscon over the counter?
    • Posted

Yes you can bye it or get a script of free your doctor for it the gaviscon advanced is best it puts a layer on top of your stomach and stops the acid from coming up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.