Severe Agony around Liver/Kidney.

Posted , 22 users are following.

For the most part, I am never ill. Short of catching a cold during the winter because I walk everywhere in a t-shirt. I'll give you the background of what's been going on.

I went to see my GP a couple of weeks ago with stabbing pain around my stomach area, and spreading too the right a bit. I also had a pressurized bloating feeling around my liver area. I haven't drank alcohol in the last 3 months, and when I do drink it's only a couple of pints. I also stopped smoking in January '13. The pressurized feeling occaisionally came with pain on the right side, around my lower ribs and to the side.

For this my GP referred me to the Hospital to get some tests done, blood came back normal, urina came back normal (no pain on passing urine either). I was discharged the same day as the Dr's thought it could be Gastritis. For which they gave me Omeprazole 20mg once a day in the morning.

I figure, hey ho, S happens it'll soon clear up and go about my day. Throughout the next week I get really bad stabbing and cramping pain around my appendix area, which gets bad enough for me to go and see the DR at the walk in clinic on Friday 9th May. Who after an examination tells me that there is swelling and tenderness around the area and refers me to North Tees (hospital). They take bloods, which come back normal, urina; again normal. They then transferred me from EAU to one of the Surgery Wards. The team came by in the morning, swelling and pain was still there. They said to either wait 24h and see what happens or they could put me in for surgery. I asked to wait and see what happens, the thought of surgery not being a pleasant one.

Sunday morning rolls around and the Dr comes to check on me, he says the swelling has gone down, the area is not as tender and I don't feel as much pain. So surgery is put off and an ultrasound scan scheduled for Monday.

On the Sunday, I start getting pains around my stomach and lower middle abdomen which occurred after eating. The pain then spread to the right side, same as above. I told the nurse about it and she gave me Tramadol. through the cannula in my arm, this was very painful so she stopped and said it would need to be replaced. The Dr then came and after an unsuccessful attempt in my left wrist, he placed one on the back of my right hand (same arm as where the first cannula was), the insertion wasn't too bad but when he went to flush it with what looked like quite a large flush in comparison with earlier ones, my arm erupted with pain, it felt as if someone where trying to force a too large cylinder along a narrow tube. Very shortly after this, I had an explosive feeling of pain around where I presume my right kidney to be. Both of these pains had me screaming in agony. I was given more Tramadol orally a few hours later after being told that the doc had authorized morphine which I declined as the pain had settled down.

Then yesterday (Monday), I was discharged at 1500h feeling fine, bit of pain around stomach, but I put it down to having eaten lunch and decide to take some paracetamol when I get home. I walk to the Job Centre to hand in some forms and it's goes alright for a while but then I start getting the kidney pain and pain on left chest, around the diaphragm area which comes on suddenly and got very intense, the pain from my kidney radiating all the way down my side and back. I didn't know how to hold myself and was writing in agony. They called a medic out. Got into the ambulance, he said that judging by the symptoms there was nothing he knew of that causes such pain in those locations. I'd calmed down, and the pain had mostly dissipated. His advice was to get to my GP asap. I took 2 buscopan and 2 paracetamol and went to make an appointment. Which I got sorted for 0840h this morning.

After that I went home. Made myself some tea and continued painting my new flat to take my mind off things.

Then bang, without warning, the same thing happens, the pain was bad enough to have me on the floor in agony. This time the pain also felt stiffer in the side. Again I also had the same pain in my lower left chest/upper left abdo. I called 111, not wanting to have another ambulance called out unnecessarily. Told them what was going on, mentioned the earlier ambulance and the outcome etc. They then sent out another. One of them examined my meds (paracetamol, omeprazole and buscopan) telling me I hadn't been taking the buscopan and when I explained to her that the Dr's wouldn't let me take it during my stay in hospital, and it had only been prescribed to me recently she scoffed at me. They then said they'd take me in to A&E to look at me. Which turned out to be a waste of time.

The Dr I saw, said there wasn't anything that they could do for me, and prescribed me Tramadol, to be picked up from my local hospital today.

I hadn't slept through the 3 nights in hospital and crashed as soon as I got home last night, missing my appointment with the GP by 20 minutes this morning. I've re-arranged it for tomorrow at 0855h. I plan on asking him to book me in for an MRI and to do a full blood test. I don't know what else to do.

I never get ill. T-shirt in winter aside. However, this last month has been harrowing to say the least. I feel like a fraud each time I go to see the Dr, even though I'm in bad pain. Normally, I'd pop a couple of paracetamol and distract myself with something physical. This hasn't worked at all and the pain is moderate and constant. With occassional sharp excrutiating spikes.

Whenever this happens it is highly embarrasing and I'm starting to doubt my sanity at this point.

Is there anything I should be looking out for? Have I missed something? Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?

Some additinal info: I'm a 22yr old male, in good general health, losing weight (currently 96Kg, down from 106) through good nutrition and moderate daily exercise. I don't eat any junk food, don't drink and don't smoke.

I hope this can be explained and solved. Sooner rather than later as I feel I'm beginning to lose the plot!

There have also been some other pains, but I'm unsure if they're related to what's been happening.

I have a tenderness in my groin, at the back of my right testicle and the pain from that seems to radiate around the groin/pelvic area. (If you've ever been kicked in the nuts and felt that horrid feeling in your stomach, this is like that, but no where near as painful and lasts longer.)

Well, that's everything for now. Will keep you folks updated. And in the meantime, any help would be much appreciated.

-Fred

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fred9292, 2 things spring to mind. one is called an ingrunal hernia. You have been doing a lot of lifting and standing on ladders and getting on steps. The pain from an ingrunal hernia is pretty bad and can go from the liver to the groin and you feel that the side of the body that has the hernia is falling out of your body downwards. There is also an on going pain down just about the area that the appendix is. It it always there. It is where the small intestine is protruding through the muscle wall and when you do some strenuous work like walking the muscle tightns and traps the intestine causing severe pain. Then when the muscle relaxes the pain goes away until the intestine mobes back into the hole in the muscle and there it goes again.You are decorating your flat so you are moving in different angles to what you normally do. Your GP could tell you if you had a hernia but a CT scan will see the hole in the muscle that the intestine protrudes and causes the pain. It is treated with an old type of treatment called a truss, like a belt that has a solid piece of leather pushing the intestine back in throught the muscle stopping the pain.The other way is keyhole surgery where the surgoen stapples the hole in the muscle up. Second thing it could be is an inflamation of the epididimous. Where your testicle is like an egg, you can feel a piece of gristle going around the sides of the testicle and coming over the top and going intowards the top of the groin. If this decomes inflamed or has an infection it will cause severe pain going upwards to the left or right side of the body. It is called, wait for it " epididimo-orchitis " Just check with your GP. Most of the other posters are correct in describing what they think it could be, but unless we are doctors we cannot diagnose, we can only sumise. Hope you get relief from your pain soon. Peter
  • Posted

The pain sounds like gallstones with this you vomit and the pain is agony.

• Posted

For all of you getting kidney stones often... you need to catch them when they pass and have the doctor test them to see what's causing them. In my case, as well as many in my family, it is calcium. Our bodies don't process and distribute vitamin d or calcium well. I was taking vitamins (one a day women's vitamins) and got kidney stones. Stopped taking them = no kidney stones. Hope you figure it out. It's not a pain I wish on an enemy.

• Posted

I know what you are going through I have been going throught the same things...had my galblader out a month ago did not help I have had pancretites 6 times since march...I end up going in every two weeks in so much pain but they say my levels are fine and send me home it is so frustrating makes me look like I am a hypochondriac I am so at my end with it allI hope they find a way to help you soon as it is so painful
  • Posted

Fred,

ASAP get an MRI.

Your body is telling you that something is wrong. Listen to it. An MRI will usually give you a conclusive answer. Maybe it's nothing. But, if it is "something" you want to get it taken care of quickly.

• Posted

Hey Fred. ..

Though am not a really experienced person but I've gone through alot...I'd the same kind of sharp pain that would come suddenly and then dissappeare as though nothing had happened but when it hurts it makes you want to press it n make it go away but instead ithey increases i also got many tests done I suffered for 8 months before the actual conclusion.....n I think all these are the signs of the same thing that happened to me I really suggest u to go to your doctor n ask him to do a CT scan n if not cleareally go for a sonography(i know many people believe it's meant for only pregnant women but it's not it everyone is able to do it just to know what the problem is)because in my CT scan report there was nothing wrong but immediately we got the sonography the reports were clear I had kidney stones and unfortunately I have on both the kidneys so m still working on them n I know how it hurts ...overally I think it's the best u get a sonography done n know what's really wrong....

• Posted

Hi Fred, 

1. Have your pains started since painting? Is it lead based? Do you have good ventilation? 

Thus could be a possible reason? 

2. Check for Porphyria... a sample when having a bad attack.. check Urine, bloods and poop! It’s very rare!! Usually inherited but can be caused by lead paints. Ok I hope that was helpful! 

• Posted

Next time write a book, geez!! I have been experiencing kidney problems also and have checked in with the Dr to see what is going on. But every result came back as jack s***. So this pain or bothersome irritation is normal? One nurse even said it could be my colon is amnd might still be too sensitive. At least that makes sense. ,

I've stopped drinking heavily ( no liquor, just 8% and under). I think my kidney might be infected due to my past..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.