Severe Alcoholic - I think I am dieing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well. This is a serious topic and I honestly think I am dieing.

I have been drinking heavily for around 4.5 years now (anywhere between 60-100 units per week).

Stats - 5 foot 7 (170cm)

Weight - 56kg (normally 50kg)

Age - 32

Symptoms - Weight gain +6kg over the last 2 years( I am naturally very skinny) and Abdomen looks very bloated/large and unnatural compared to rest of the body and my ribs are showing. I even look skinnier at 56kg than I did at 50kg, except for my abdomen.

The reason I say very heavy drinking is because 60-100 units per week for a 50kg male I think is considered very heavy drinking.

In this time, I have visited my doctor and I have had 2 ultrasounds. First one was in July 2020 and second was in February 2022. Both times they said the scans came back normal, which is shocking. After reading many topics I was lead to believe that the ultrasound is the gold standard for testing any liver problems/fluid.

So does this mean I am perfectly fine even though 2 ultrasounds say everythings okay?

Thanks guys!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

maybe by the time your 40 you wont be so lucky. AUD takes control of the brain. i have lost many family members to AUD. try AA or in house treatment . many ups and downs. it is not a weekness or a moral issue it is a alcohol controlling every thought, triggers and life is addiction a common problem. AUD destroys families,and lives. pharmaceutical sober treatment has helped many. see a alcohol counsellor.

sending hugs and courage your way.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

courage to change the things I can,

and wisdom to know the difference.

• Edited

Not good and seek advice advice since 60 to 100 units weekly is a lot and you cannot carry on another 5 years without severe health problems. Your GP perhaps and medication is the way forward. Best of luck. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.