Severe allergic reaction after metal toe implant for arthritis pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I received a big toe implant and surgery was Sept 5, 2017. Two days later incision very swollen and large blisters formed. The foot has very red rash and very hot and horrifically itchy. I really think I'm in trouble. It's  15 days out and all I do is lie in bed with ice packs wet washcloths. My surgeon is very little help, my foot looks like it's dying, and dermatologist gave me a topical steroid. I take Benedetto and a corticosteroids, nothing is helping. I'm sure it's the metal implant allergic reaction. I want to scratch so badly but it'll get worse. It's spreading up my ankle and I fear next my shin. It's been constant itch for 15 days. I can't take much more. Doctor says may be the titanium implant has nickle, and he wants to wait for a very long time before removing. I'm miserable beyond misery.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe  - just checking to see how you’re getting on. I hope all ok
    • Posted

Yes, much better. As far as rash and itch goes, anyway.  After 3 months of cold rags and ice packs( they saved me) I started getting better. The foot, toe, from this surgery, is still painful 8 months later, but I'm getting much of my life back. Still often times feel, I am allergic to the implant but physical therapist and foot surgeon do not think so. All I know, is joints all over body, are so painful, often. Never were, before toe implant. But I can wear shoes, not dress shoes, but tennis shoes and sandals, and walk again. I'm just so happy for that, because I thought my situation was so dire, I might lose my foot at times. Dermatologist and primary dr also feared that. I'm on the mend and I'm not removing the implant if I do not get worse. Thanks for your interest. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.