Severe Allergic Rhinitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I have been suffering from chronic allergic rhinitis for the past 5 years. It began as hayfever then gradually progressed onto allergic rhinitis then Asthma. I am on Antihistamines for life but have come off them due to pregnancy. The Allergic Rhinitis is an absolute nightmare it affects my daily life to such an extent I am unable to go outdoors due to constant runny nose mainly, blocked sinuses and facial pain. I go through tons of boxes of tissues a week and the symptoms are debilitating and I am limited to what I can do because every second of the day I spend blowing my nose. If I try to plug up my nose it gets so congested more comes out. From the minute I wake up sneeze that's it. It then stays for an average of up to 10 hours a day just running like a tap, I am driven to the point where I just want to remove my nose for good since I heard surgery does not help. I use an air purifier at home 24hours a day, I have tried every type of medication loratadine, chloraphenanmine, piriton etc,  steroid nasal sprays and sea water sterimar allergy response plus nasal douching yet nothing works!! I have been to so many appointments yet no help is around even the consultant at the hospital with the camera up my nose sees one polyp and says there's nothing that can be done... Really!? Please just cut off my nose I wish there was a cure because honestly I feel I don't have a normal life anymore.  Please let there be a cure.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Maybe it does for some people, I have never heard that Anxiety, stress and depression can aggravate Rhinitus, possibly it could do with some people. 
  • Posted

Garnet888 I have tried an air purifier and everything else I can find. Nothing works or woeks for 24 hours and then its worse than it was before once the 24 hours has worn off. 

Cant believe theres nothing that can be done, there must be. All it is, is our body is overreacting for normal everyday airborn particals. 

All day my nose is sneezing, itchy, irritated, running, blokced and then as a conciquence I am kept up at night, my sinisus get irritated so I get sinus headaches and sinisitus etc. Its a never ending nightmare. How all of a sudden it just came. One day I did not have it and I could handle everyday smells, used deodrant, soap, shampoos etc etc, the next day I have terrible rhinitus and the slighest smells of any  of those things (Including anything now with a smell even marker pens) sending my rhinitus though the roof. How this happened I just dont know. 

Maybe this Flixonase Nasules will help? my Dr perscribed me  beconase which actually made it worse. 

• Posted

Hi Mike

I understand what you are going through even though our symptoms may be a little different. The environment plays an important part in how we acquired Rhinitis. But I have a weak immune system and that contributes to it. I do not have antibodies and always fall ill to viruses too. My main concern is Rhinitis though although almost here everyday it magically disappears by the evening when there is less humidity and I read an article that states the most common cause is humidity.  I believe it could be this. As I said I tried every nasal spray there is and beconase it is probably the less effective of them all. I resorted to steroid nasal sprays and even those don't work. The only one that worked short term was Sterimar Allergy Response but after using my fifth bottle it lost its power. Anyway I shall keep in mind the Flixonase and find out more about whether I could use it.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

• Posted

I definitely believe that the environment plays a major factor. The nose being a first line defense protects ur body from the environment.  Since the nasal passage is constantly bombarded by irritants I feel that leads to rhinitis r sinsusitis.

I went on vacation to Costa Rica the first day down there I had a flair up. The rest of the week I was like a new person although I was not cured. I felt completely different. The energy was amazing. Of course immediately  upon returning to the states I was back to feeling the rhitinis  and all that comes with it,even feeling the mucous going from side to side while sleeping. 

• Posted

Hi Deemac

I agree our surroundings and habits need to change if we want to feel better. But I have to be extreme with mine as a lot of things can trigger it. I went on holiday to Asia and surprisingly I didn't suffer any rhinitis but as soon as I was back in the UK it returned. My symptoms haven't improved it just got worse and nothing can relieve it. Parties and functions are a no go sometimes cos it is so bad. You get it whilst you're sleeping? I have heard there are some types of injections I haven't asked about myself but it does come with consequences. 

Hope you feel better someday. 

• Posted

Hi Garnet and Dee,

I have tried Sterimar Allergy Response and everything else you can possibly probably mention, cant think of anything I have not tried yet.

So annoying as the rhinitus also causes sinus infections which sinus infections bring with it , its own set of symptoms such as fever etc. I mean I am in my 30's and really want to find a way to get rid of this rhinitus. 

I just hope we can find a cure. 

• Posted

I'm sure you are like me trying everything that is available!! It is a condition that drives me insane. Yes both rhinitis and sinusitis come hand in hand which is even more miserable. I too am in my 30s and feel no improvement only good or bad days.  This condition is not looked at seriously since we are still alive lol I have to laugh about it as I don't know what else I can do about it. Just troop on I guess. 

All the best. 

• Posted

Although I am a little older than U guys I have also tried everything including accunpunture and a chiropractor and as  of yet nothing has given me continued relief. I also am taking allergy shots in a hope that they will help to desensitize by bodies reaction to the many allgerns that I am allergic too. Right now  it is a day to day thing, one day alright next day not so much, I never can tell.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am now a crinkly who has had similar allergy/intolerance issues for more than 50 years. My allergy history may be of interest ...

Around pubity I started to suffer with 'hayfever' - that is unpleasant reactions to pollen, especially from grasses - which made me repeatedly sneeeze hard (until my nose would bleed), made me wheezy and caused me sweat (fever). Year on year this became worse and extended beyond the main pollen season. By mid teens I stayed indoors for much of the summers - sometimes staying in bed beacuse the symptoms were so debilitating. Being somewhat distracted I messed up academic exams.

Before 'A' levels I sought help from the NHS who tried somewhat crudely to test me for allegens. Mostly the test allergen spots put onto my skin caused large wheals that all blended together. No progress was made. Life continued its downward slide!

Getting to and through College was a trauma. By this time I learnt to love alcohol and the deterioration spiralled. Allergic rhinitis/sinusitis became common place .... you'll be getting the picture?

In work I had a colleague with similar problems and no positive outcome from NHS treatments who pestered me for possibly two years to visit a particular homeopath ( not a quack but a 'proper' doctor doing medical research) based in Southampton but also who practiced at Harley Street - which, at the time, was easily accessible to me. Eventually, very sceptical, I attended the London clinic. It was the best thing I ever did for my general well being!! 

Afer a lot of discussion, a strange and slightly primitive looking electrical aparatus was physically connected to me and comparison made with dozens of material sample slides that were slotted into the machine. Within half an hour the doctor had identified a number of common foodstuffs to which I AM intolerant or allergic. I left with strict diatary exclusion orders that I stuck with for about two months before returning for another consultation. By this time life had taken a very different turn - no headaches, the sinuses were clear, my breathing was so good I could run again, my skin was clear; my mood was very much more bouyant. I was almost a new person!

FOR ME the primary exclusions were processed sugars and related dairy produce (lactose has similar effects and is a very common allergen) plus to a lesser effect coffee, chicken, corn ... and the list goes on.

I lived with my total exclusions for 35 years and enjoyed a very healthy life.

Following early retirement from a successful career I decided that I should be able to re-introduce and control alcohol and sweet puddings. To begin I allowed ten pints of beer in the first year. This gradualy slid to the point that I have been drinking two pints a week and regular puddings, still a relatively small amount, that has made some of the allergy symptoms return with a vengeance. I have sneezing fits, almost continual headaches, problems with my eyes. I recently frightened myself when, with pint in hand, I went into an almost hypnotic state and started insulting a good friend - totally lost it!

I am now back on my exclusions diet going through detoxification.

THE DOCTOR WHO SO IMPROVED MY LIFE ARGUED THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALLERGIES OR INTOLERANCES. SOME PEOPLE ARE LESS TOLERANT OF ALLERGENS AND PEOPLE REACT DIFFERENTLY TO THE VARIOUS POSSIBLE ALLERGENS.

THE MAJORITY OF ALLERGENS TAKEN INTO THE BODY ARE PART OF FOOSTUFFS. iF THE FOODSTUFF ALLEGENS ARE ELIMINATED IT REDUCES THE LIKELYHOOD OF UNCONTROLLABLE ALLERGENS, SUCH AS THOSE IN THE AIR, CAUSING A SENSITIVE PERSON TO HAVE AN ADVERSE REACTION AND CONSEQUENT DETERIORATED HEALTH.

!!GET TESTED FOR FOOD ALLERGIES AND INTOLERANCES!!

Best wishes from an old but experienced fart.

• Posted

I have been tested for environmental things and I have several allegens that I am allergic too,  from the environment. I am getting allergy shots for said allergens. When I go back to my allergist I will ask if while testing for environmental allergens did she also test for food allergensnr intolerance. If not I will definitely bring it up. I can only imagine that if ur body acts a certain way for airborne allergen it will react the same way for food allergens. The body doesn't know the difference it is just interpreting that something  that is entering the body is an invader whether it's food r airborne items. So thanks for the post 

• Posted

Boot th\at was very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Boot are you saying that if we have food allergies that then causes our nose to become allergic to normal everyday airborn particles which then causes rhinitus/sinisitus? 

How can I be tested for FOOD ALLERGIES AND INTOLERANCES? The NHS?

I find stress does make my allergies worse also. 

• Posted

Hi,

Clearly there is a limit to how much one could/should write in a single post. There is so much that could be added much of which would add little to the main message that I hope to have conveyed.

I have had decades to gain some understanding of what happens/is wrong with me through discussion with friends who are either medical practitioners or medical scientists or by reading stuff that is available in reports/papers, many of which can be found through the web if you know what to look for.

To address one of your questions: 

'if we have food allergies that then causes our nose to become allergic to normal everyday airborn particles which then causes rhinitus/sinisitus?'

Firstly to clarify:

WE ALL are exposed to possible AIRBORNE, CONTACT and INGESTED allergens.

I believe that MOST PEOPLE have some level of intolerance or allergy (they are not the same!) to substance or substances that they come into contact with.

It cannot be said that a possible or known allergen has a level of toxic effect on MOST PEOPLE.

A person with some level of intolerance or allergy to a substance or substances may not have a noticeable adverse reaction to that substance. POSSIBLY WE ALL REACT DIFFERENTLY.

A person may have a unique reaction to a possible allergen.

More specifically:

Our bodies - particularly our gut flora/bacteria - can have difficulty in reacting to or processing some substances: these substances are allergens. In our gut some allergens can produce substances that are effectively toxic to us; in some cases it can be the resulting toxins that trigger the adverse allergic reaction.

Our bodies have a threshold for how much or many of these allergens they can cope with without there being some adverse reaction.

When you eat lots of substances that are allergens to you, you reduce your level of tolearance to allergens that you have little or no control of.

If you are able to avoid food allergens you are likely to be able to increase your tolerance of allergens that you have no control of.

Food allergies do not cause body parts (like a nose) to become allergic. THE ALLERGY EXISTS but is triggered by a cumulative or local overload of allergens.

With allergic rhynitis the nasal system may be reacting to the localised allergen (normally airborne dust or pollen) that pushes the body beyong its cumulative tolerance threshold.

Hopefully that helps clarify what might begoing on!

PERHAPS I SHOULD ADD THAT ALLERGENS CAN CAUSE CRAVING -  a bit like the commonly understood reactio to some narcotics.

SUGAR IS MY MOST HARMFUL ALLERGEN.

In my case I admit that I am a SUGARHOLIC; I find it very difficult to say no to foodstuff that contains processed sugars. It is not unknown for me to search out sugary foodstuff that has been purposely hidden from me!!

With regards getting tested;

I don't know what allergy testing the NHS now offers, things have moved on since when I first sought medical help. Ask your GP.

Searching the web should lead you to possible 'private' sources of allergy testing. In my experience testing samples of hair results in a broad but poorly defined diagnosis.

Live well

Boot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.