Severe anxiety and muscle spasms. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I've had costo for about a month now. I'm 18 and have no other health problems. I went back to the doctor a few days ago because my pain was so severe and had moved from the left side to right. Physical examination showed tenderness now on my right middle ribcage near sternum. Before it was on the left side under my breast. I have shortness of breath but no longer have pain upon breathing deeply. The pain is mostly always in the same spots, not widespread. Lately I have been having muscle spasms all around my ribcage. I had one so bad tonight that when I pressed on it I could feel it. I haven't been coping very well in terms of anxiety either. I often look up my symptoms to reassure myself and often dr google brings up MS which makes me incredibly worried. I feel hopeless. Blood tests came back as normal apart from a slightly high AP rate in my liver. Doc says it correlates with inflammation or bone growth. Chest xray next week.. My biggest fear is having MS. I'm sure I don't but I've been imagining symptoms such as weakness in legs. Are spasms normal? and shortness of breath? I don't know how much longer I can cope feeling as if i've been misdiagnosed.. please help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jasmine! I have costochondritis and health anxiety. What you're describing sounds a lot like anxiety could be causing some of your spasms and twitching. When I have really bad anxiety I have tingling and twitching in random places but mostly in my face. I also have shortness of breath at times with it.

I hope you start feeling better. You're too young to not be enjoying life due to anxiety.

• Edited

Hi Jasmine, I can feel your pain so I will do my best to help you. Costo does cause the kind of pain you describe, sternum and associated rib pain near where the ribs attach to the sternum. Is your pain sharp like a spear poking you? Mine felt that way but it also left the area very sore.

The anxiety can make it worse as it causes your muscles to tense up, which then in conjunction with the costo increases the pain. I have a few suggestions on what you could try, if you want to take the time to apply them.

Spasms and shortness of breath are normal with anxiety along many other symptoms like feeling detached from your body, racing thoughts, tingling and a sense of doom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.