Severe anxiety and panic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello ladies,

I doubled my dose of utrogestan over three months ago but over last few weeks have been a wreck - so much adrenaline I'm not functioning. My consultant told me to halve the dose again but it could take a while to work (I went back to my original dose on Monday). I thought progesterone was supposed to make you relaxed? Am I abnormal? I was fine over a month ago and now I feel like I'm going to die, if anyone has been through something similar please talk to me - I'm terrified.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on the same progesterone and indeed it can make you anxious. Firstly progesterone can raise your available estrogen, so if estrogen dominant it can make it worse. There is also a link between progesterone and cortisol (Stress hormone). I remember when I only used progesterone, no estrogen (Start of peri that was) omg after a while I was a mess, lots of anxiety and I had a lot of water retention etc. Its really a fine balance. I also can not take it orally as it get more side effects from it, 200 mg orally knock me out, like it literally feels like going under a GA! So I insert them vaginally at night. 100 mg should be enough especially if you take it 21 days. 200 mg if you only take them for 10 days a month. I cant take them too long as I get side effects after a few days already, and I vary my dose depending on how i feel, if my estrogen is high (I am on pellets) then I feel I can take 100 mg followed by a few days of 200 mg. If its on the drop, the pellet that is, 100 mg only. The progesterone is really to protect the uterus (get a period or stop it from getting too much lining), so you could by rights vary depending on how you feel 😃 Also 100 mcg Estrogen Patch is not that much, I know of people that wear 2 patches (myself included before the pellets) so the 100 mg definatley is suffice 😃

• Posted

Hello Manuela,

Thanks so much for your kind and informative words 😃 That's really explained a lot - I now have hope that maybe I'm not going completely insane after all!  Thank you 😃

I hope you have found a balance now? I've gone back to 100mg, only been on this dose for a week though so could take time, plus I may be getting withdrawal after halving the dose!!

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.