Severe anxiety/health and OCD

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and OCD last April. I also have really bad health anxiety. Thinking I'm having a heart attack, choking, brain tumour a DVT any kind of symptom and I think I am going to die. It took about 7 months for me to get NHS therapy and my therapist is great, but my therapy will be stopping in a few weeks and I'm scared. I have progressed as last year for about 3 months the only places I went were my GP or A&E as I worried so much about my health. I lost my job through being off work, that was so stressful and really caused more anxiety. I just wonder if this is as good as it gets ?? Will I ever get back to so called normal ?? Some days I think I can cope and other days I feel helpless/hopeless. I also have really bad ringing in my ears and when I have a bad panic I feel hot all over and pins and needles and think I am having a stroke. My Dr says it will eventually go, but when ?? I am trying to go out and do things, live a productive life but at the moment going to the shop is a trial. When I think about working, which I really want to do I can't imagine going for an interview. I can't even get through a day to day conversation without crying. I wish everyone good health. I know it's hard and I will get there, I need to but you know how it is when you feel so desperate.cry

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know how you feel,it will go away belive me just stay strong and keep fighting
  • Posted

I am similar to you, having a bad time for the last two weeks, been losing weight, feeling sick all day, i went to a&e did my bloods (all good) but it doesn't really last one... It's endless and no way to live. I no longer Google, i stay away from the news (always upsets me) I'm waiting for CBT, this will be my second course.

Stay strong, it will get better. It has to.

• Posted

lots of people on this site have a health anxiety so you are not alone.  Just post and people will come flocking to help you. It's really friendly here so just open up and get the help you need.

richard

• Posted

Thank you everyone for replying, it's just so hard when I feel that terror of thinking I am going mad or going to die. I try to act normal when inside it is bedlam. Thank you so much everyone. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi I think I have had anxiety over countless diseases.  At the moment I have stomach problems so of course I have cancer.  I feel a lot of GP's don't understand our problem and how awful it makes us feel.  You are not on your own
  • Posted

I do that too Mary. A headache is a tumour, chest pain a heart attack, sore legs a DVT etc.... etc.... I laugh sometimes at myself but to be honest it's not really funny. I agree about DR's not understanding. Although my Dr is really good he always suggests medication. I have had a couple of really bad reactions to meds and now have a total phobia and I'm not sure he really gets it ??
  • Posted

Yes I know how you feel.  I feel so embarrassed going to doctor but why should we be this is an illness like anything else.   Do you find that reassurance doesn't last?  
  • Posted

Yeah it doesn't last. When I am in the GP's surgery I think ofcourse you are right there is nothing physically wrong with me it IS my anxiety, then I get home and I think but what if. I know that is really not helpful and I try to say well you have been to the Dr he should know and leave it at that. It's very hard though. cheesygrin
  • Posted

stay strong! we are here for you. 

and trust me speaking to someone helps! 

Jess X

• Posted

I only joined this forum today and just wanted to say everyone has been so lovely. It does really help speaking to other people like me, if you know what I mean. Anyway thank you, hopefully I can go to bed now and think positive thoughts and have a long sleep. Thanks again folks and best of health to you all.cheesygrin
  • Posted

I get all of those symptoms. I feel like I'm going crazy, and others around me don't understand it 99% of the time. sad
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I have been getting therapy since the end of September last year and it's on the NHS. I think if I could afford to go private it would be different, but I know I'm not the only one who needs it so I suppose it has to end sometime, I'm just not ready. My therapist did say if there were no financial or time constraints it would continue for a bit longer. I was on the waiting list for about 7 months and I kind of feel if I had been seen earlier the outcome might have been different and I would be further along with my recovery. I feel like if someone had a broken leg they wouldn't take their cast off before the bones were healed. I suppose I am being selfish as there are alot of people that need help. Anyway thanks again. cheesygrin
    • Posted

so you're going to end it? are you read for that?
    • Posted

ready*

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.