Severe Back Pain After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I just had my Gallbladder removed and I have severe mid and upper back pain. Like pain level of over 10. Mostly hurts if I lay on my back. But overall it hurts all the time too. Anyone else had this. Norco helps the pain. But my front doesn't hurt ad bad as my back. Help.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I didn’t properly lie down for a good week or two after the surgery. Was pretty sore too. Took anti inflammatory painkillers too and paracetamol (acetaminophen) as works well with other tablets. And had hot water bottle or heat patch on sore parts. Short walks help too xx
    • Posted

Thank you. It feels like my back is broken. The doctor says its not related to the surgery but it is really bad. The front doesn't hurt Really. Just my back. I appreciate your reply.

• Posted

It sounds like you are experiencing the gas from the keyhole surgery dispersing from your body.  They say to try and move around and that should help.  Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

I am experiencing the same pain. Middle right back pain. It is a deep, intense, constant ache since having my gallbladder removed. Did your pain ever go away? How long did it take?
    • Posted

I am one week post op....I am having the same excruciating pain in my upper back. did you ever find relief?

• Posted

Had my gb removed 4 days ago and the day after surgery I felt good and elated that the constant pain in my shoulders and middle back had gone and also the mild pain under my right rib. Had an attack of the gas pain in my right shoulder whilst in hospital and a senior nurse (red coat) helped me get up as I couldnt . He explained all about it as well. Got home next evening and didnt feel too bad. Took another gas pain getting into bed and I thought my lights were going out but managed to get up and walk around. The intense back pain has returned, which I had pre surgery, and I'm beginning to think its something else. Also the hives have returned, which I thought was being caused by my BP tablet, which I have stopped. Feel the instense back pain when I breathe and also feel it in front of chest opposite back pain. Sent for a coeliac disease testing kit to see if i'm allergic to wheat as to rule this out. My gb was inflamed when they took it out and sent it away for analysis. The back pain appears to radiate to the neck of the stomach. I also suffer from barrett's oesophagus and had to cancel the camera down the throad as the appointment came up when i was in hospital. I eat ok in the morning but it all seems to get backed up rest of evening. Apart from above happy to have my gb out.

• Posted

I am now exactly two weeks out from surgery and my back pain has subsided, but not yet completely disappeared. I am hopeful that it will vanish completely with time. It is also the same pain i was feeling before surgery.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out last Monday. Immediately after waking i had excruciating back pain in my upper back muscles on both sides. Was kept for pain control over night. Today almost a week later i still can not stand up straight or for more than a few seconds because my muscles spasm and tense up and become very painful immediately. Has anyone has this same issues? I cant cook, clean, drive or anything because I'm always having a sharp pain in my belly button as well. Any suggestions? I don't see my doctor for another week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.