severe back pains

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've started to have severe back pains on both left/right sides, I am wondering if this is related to my IBS, anyone exprienced this? Thanks Dd.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Where abouts is the pain located in your back? Upper, middle (ribs) or lower?

Gem

• Posted

Hi Gem

Thanks for post.

Pain is located just lower than rinbs on both sides and sometimes in the middle, I also have a slight fever with headache.

Dd.

• Posted

Have you had any scans, bloods or stool samples to rule out anything else?
    • Posted

I had a colonscopy (they found a small benign polyp), MRI and blood tests, nothing turned up. No stool test yet. I do have a small stone in each kidney, but too small to cause any problems yet. Thks Dd.

• Posted

Have you had an Endoscopy to check your stomach? If everything else is clear then I would say it's probably IBS. I would want to know the reason for your fever though. Could it be your kidney stones causing fever? Are they sure the pain isn't from your kidney stones?

Gem

• Posted

yes, I had an endoscopy and my stomach is fine, no Gerd or any reflux, which I did have. The back pain is quite deblitating and unpleasant to say the least, I will visit my doctor again and see if we can find out the cause. Is it possble that IBS can affect, not only in the stomach and colon but place quite a distance from these organs?? Is this common? Thks Dd.

• Posted

David, please make an appointment with your doctor. In all the years I have had IBS and diverticulitis I haven't experienced anything like you are describing. My concern is the fever you are experience too. Get yourself checked out by an expert. On here we can only relate to experience. Get your doctors opinion.
    • Posted

Thank you Elaine, I do intend to see a doctor.  Dd.

• Posted

Good,  let us know how you get on. Also your outcome could be useful to someone else. Good luck and I hope you get some relief very soon.
  • Posted

Hi, i would do a pee test & take it to doc to test kidneys & if any blood present. if you have fever could be your kidney stones causing probs. i have had kidney stones 5 x, & they dont have to be big to cause trouble. if they move slightly they can cause intense pain & fever. i used to get pain in lower back with them & as far down as groin/pelvis area as the ureters travels all that way down from kidneys & "refers" pain along that route. hope this helps
  • Posted

Due to the location I would guess kidneys a posibility and agree that stones can present in a variety of ways. Did the doctor say the stones are too small to cause problems before you started to experience the pain & fever? If before I would definitely contact the doctor.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have just posted a discussion describing something quite similar.

I suffer with a pain which feels almost muscular at my lower left/right sides. I have had urine samples taken and was then diagnosed with IBS.

The pain is only evident in the morning and more so after eating heavily the night before.

Any relation at all?

• Posted

Hi Eric

That sounds familiar to me too, nasty pains, I will know a bit more when I see my doctor on Friday and let you know. Right now I don't live  in the UK.

Cheers Dd.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.