Severe Bloating

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am male, 23 years old and for way over a year now I have had problems with SEVERE bloating. When I say severe, to put it into context, I am very slim and probably slightly underweight. Yet, my belly pertrudes twice as far as the rest of my body and I can barely see my feet from an upright position. The bloating doesn't go away, it's there 24/7 and I can't put any pressure on my stomach without feeling a lot of discomfort. This means I am unable to lay or sleep on my front anymore.

I have been to the doctors 6 or 7 times about this and so far I have tried...

A gastroscopy - which concluded a hiatus hernia, which apparently would not cause this amount of bloating

I have tried 3 different types of prescribed medicine designed to reduce stomach acid.

I tried changing my diet but was concerned about loosing weight so stopped when nothing was changing.

I have had a ultrasound in which nothing was found.

And many blood tests and stool samples for everything they could think of.

I do also not have IBS.

So after this I just can't seem to get rid of the bloating. If anyone has any kind of advise or help i would be most grateful

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried eliminating gluten? Maybe you have non celiac gluten intolerance. I take it celiac was ruled out?
  • Posted

Hi Gregg,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. And not being able to figure out what's wrong can be equally frustrating at times. But before you try anything please contact your healthcare professional for further advice.

You mentioned that along with the bloating you are a little underweight. There are cases in protein malnutrition where there is severe bloating as you indicated.

You also mentioned not having IBS but have you tried getting a colon cleanse before? Did the tests check for any nutrient deficiency? Sometimes, not being able to have proper nutrient absorption could play into disorders of the abdomen.

Also, you said you changed your diet, did you do it on your own or with the advice of a dietician? Maybe this would be a good place to start. 

I hope you found value in this post and will find relief soon. All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for such a detailed response, well I do not under eat and do get plenty of protein in my diet.

However I eat very very little fruit and vegetables since moving out from my parents. My issues did start about a year after this, so could this be a potential problem?

And I struggled with changing my diet and yes it was attempted by myself and probably not long enough to see results

• Posted

Maybe try eating more fruit and vegetables but avoid gassy ones such as broccoli,cabbage and brussels sprouts if you are getting gas.  Your bowel does need plenty of fibre .  Maybe stress is playing a part in your symptoms since you moved out. If your problems began a year afterwards, this could be a possibility.
  • Posted

Have you tried charcoal tablets? The help with gas and bloating. Only thing is they need to be taken at other times of day from any medication.
    • Posted

Thanks for the response, charcoal tablets do help when I am gassy but don't seem to reduce my belly size or tightness

• Posted

Hi Gregg,

I also have bloating issues for about 2 years now. I've also had just about every test done and many different diets also. I'm still trying to figure it out, everyone seams to think it's food related. But, I've tried almost every diet same results. Does your stomach ach or hurt in the morning and in between meals? Does your stomach hurt at all? I have a stronger than normal hunger pain in the morning. Once I wake up and eat it fades a little bit, then increases in between meals. It seems my stomach is always bloated too. Did anything health wise happen to you just prior to your bloating? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.