Severe brain fog, cognitive impairment, spaced out, drunk like feeling, dizziness.

Posted , 7 users are following.

this is my first post on here, and i am hoping to find some sort of answer to my truly debilitating symptoms which have been effecting me for the past 11 months. I'm 39, female. When these symptoms came on I had just moved to a new location for a new job. Apologies if this is't written very well, I really struggle writing stuff these days. 

Everything escalated last year in December: extreme fatigue, extreme brain fog - like drunk feeling, shaking, cognitive issues, paresthesia all over body and also scalp, muscle twitching, difficulty concentrating.

The latest event sent me to ER and to multiple dr. visits to the family physician, neurologist, rheumatologist at Cleveland clinic. Tests completed have been coming back all negative (brain MRI, CT scan, chest x ray, EKGs, x-ray of hands, autonomic test, EMG, CT of my abdomen, even Lyme was ruled out ) and I am simply on my own dealing with the same symptoms daily and researching the solution. Neurologist assumes I have BFS ( benign fasciculation syndrome) Since December event, I took  B+C complex, magnesium, calcium, zinc, biotin for solid 4 months. However doctors do not have explanation to any of the other symptoms.

From April-May, I went through extensive acupuncture, cupping and vitamin injections program. It appeared to help with my brain fog about 50-70%. However, the muscle twitching, cramping and fatigue is affecting my daily life and work.

During bring fog events (now I am constantly struggling with brain bog)I realized I was not thinking as clearly as I once could, completing work related projects started to take considerably longer as I was finding it much harder to process my work as I used to. This was not related to the difficulty, rather that my ability to problem solve was diminishing. I struggled through and have managed to get by. 

However, the 'brain fog' was getting gradually worse as the months went by. I was and still am also experiencing muscle twitching and crimp like feelings mostly in my toes, feet , calves and arms. Muscle twitching has happened also in other muscles across body.

Last month has been really tough, I have missed days from work due to the severity of the brain fog, all weekends are spent in bed recovering. I also cannot do anything with friends as i wouldnt enjoy it, don’t have energy for it and i would just feel embarassed and zoned out. 

I have no clue what this could be, I dont feel I can work as my mind is blank and I am unable to process and remember information. Ive spent the last few months literally sat wondering wtf has happened and how to get out of this state, time completely wasted. 

Has anyone got any idea what this is? what advice would you give? 

I'm lost, this is ruining my life. Ive tried getting back into the things I used to enjoy but when I play I just feel zoned out and drunk. I get zero enjoyment from doing anything or talking to anybody in this state.

Im so confused. If anyone could give some advice it would be greatly appreciatively, as my life has quite simply stopped being worth living. I will just add that I was happy with everything I had in my life prior to this coming on so I don’t believe it to be depression.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you look at my latest post I have went through similar things brain fog/ emotional blunting I don’t feel anything at all it’s really tough it’s not depression it’s nothing 
    • Posted

Hi j98755,

thanks for your reply. However I am not having depression nor anxiety. My symptoms may start creating anxiety since it affects my daily life.

• Posted

Hi Kate sorry to hear that you are feeling so rubbish, have you had anyone mention fibromyalgia since you have been having tests etc, it's a really debilitating illness and can carry all those symptoms

• Posted

Hi Alexandria, thank you for your reply. The  the rheumatologist attempted to diagnose me with fibromyalgia since there was not other diagnosis he could have assigned. But since I do not have nerve pain or any pain actually, this diagnosis did not stick.
  • Posted

Hi Kate, I'm sorry your life style is wearing you down our physical and mental state of being can be such a pain, i don't have any answers for you, but it's nice to know that other people care for you. This is a great web site because we all suffer from one ailment or an other and we can understand how your symptoms are making your life hell, but i have believed for many years that sharing your thoughts with an other is the beginning of a healthy communication between friends.

Peace to you.

John

• Posted

How about ME?  Otherwise known as CFS - chronic fatigue syndrome.  I believe you can get this after a minor infection.  x
  • Posted

ive felt similar for the past 4 years. It started after some really bad stress in my life. My doctor prescribed anti anxiety meds but I havent taken them yet. I'm worried of the side effects....but literally I feel spaced out 24/7 and heavy headed. Has your doctor done tests for inner ear disorders? And maybe it could be anxiety that manifests itself as physical symptoms...not sure though. Dont give up searching for answers though! If they are ruling out bad stuff then let it ease your mind a little

• Posted

Thank you Chelsea. How do function being spaced out? I am really struggling with it, the on and off drunk feeling. almost feeling dumb. Crazy.

Anyways, to recap my recent discoveries. I learned that I had been living the last year in apartment where were extremely elevated levels of black mold - the worst strain. As soon as I found out about it, I vacated the property and now been living in a new place for last 2 weeks. My symptoms are still present - especially cognitive issues. Started up with another round of weekly acupuncture, cupping, Myers cocktail and Ozone injections. In addition to that I started taking coconut charcoal pills and other supplements to hopefully detox and restore my body. Will keep you all posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.