Severe bruising and leg pain after uterine artery embolisation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a UAE for Adenomyosis last Tuesday. I was rough, as was expected for the first two days and then my tummy pain eased a lot. I had a PE 20 years ago so was given an injection of Heparin on the night of my UAE. On the 3rd day I developed a huge black bruise than ran from my groin to my mid thigh. At first it wasn't painful but by Saturday the pain in my thigh was so bad I had to go to the walk in centre to make sure it wasnt a DVT. I was assured it wasnt but its now Tuesday night and the pain is so bad still. I also have two hard lumps, one in my groin and one in my thigh, although neither are at the punture site? Have tried to see if anyone online has reported this after UAE but havent so far?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi anne marie75662, none of what you described sounds normal and I don't know why the walk in centre dismissed you. Why do you have a bruise that stretches from your groin to middle thigh, were you manhandled?

At my puncture site there was originally a small lump at the puncture site that went over time but I remember the nursing staff being concerned that no haematomas ( swelling under the skin) formed and told me to come back if it happened.

• Posted

Hello Anne Marie,

I had my procedure in September 2015. I had a lot of bruising on my thigh and felt lumps in my groin. My thigh and groin was still painful on the 2nd week and I felt it mostly when I stood up and sat down and when walking. The area continued to be tender when I touched it for 2 further weeks. And as far as I can remember the bruising slowly subsided and was completely gone by week 4.

Good that you had it checked out but since doctors aren't worried, it should be ok. Continue to monitor it though. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been trawling the internet looking for someone who had a similar outcome after their procedure!

I guess because this was never mentiened as a potential side effect it has worried me more. Lets hope it eases after time. Thank you!

• Posted

Been wondering after your post how you are doing & hoping that you haven't had a reoccurance of a clot x

• Posted

Hi,

I am two weeks post op. My leg is still very bruised and painful. I ended up goung back to see my consultant who did an ultra sound. There was lots of pooled blood in the tissue but no DVT thank goodness! He was shocked at the state of my leg and said that whilst bleeding is a complication he has to point out to all his patients, I am literally the first person this has ever happened to under his care! Apparently its very uncommon for a woman of my age (46) to experience this. I want to get back to work, but am finding it painful to sit at the desk for more than a couple of hours at a time sad

• Posted

Stay off if you can for a bit longer, look after you, this is a major procedure. You need to wait a while until the pain is less. Life's too short, don't push yourself too hard. So glad it's not a clot, been concerned since I read your post. Slowly does it, you've the rest of your life to work x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.