Severe bunion but mild pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a severe bunion on my left foot and a moderate one on my right. I saw an orthopaedic surgeon yesterday who would operate and remove one or both bunions for me but he stressed I do surgery for the right reason - reducing pain. The problem is that I don't really have much pain in them and can still do all my usual activities including running and hockey. Has anyone else got a large bunion but little pain and have you decided to have surgery?

Thank you for any thoughts, I am in a quandary wondering whether I should do the surgery or leave it to if / when pain becomes an issue...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You say you don't experience pain but if you walk a good distance in the wrong shoes are you not then experiencing pain and discomfort and aren't your bunions red?  I was the same as you and have had operations to both, one at a time a year apart.  If they are severe then it will have to be lapidus which means a longer helping time.  It was found that I had arthritis in one which has since become worse so I do have to watch what shoes I wear or I am in pain.  Would I have the operations again, yes, I have lovely looking feet and can walk for miles with trainers, go for a night out in heels if I don't have to walk far.  I was unlucky with my second foot but I I would still get rid of those ugly feet which will become more of a problem later on anyway.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Rosie.  Sometimes my bunions are a bit achey after a really long walk but as I tend to live in flat shoes / trainers they don't really get too painful.  Your comments are very encouraging!  Great to hear you are so active post ops!

• Posted

Hi, Helen! 

I'm curious - what would be the other reason for removing the bunions?  Because they are unsightly?  I actually had a similar thought.  I kept saying "Do I REALLY need to do this?"  I had surgery on Friday to remove my first bunion.  It was a mild one, but was causing pain as I have a very active lifestyle and I also like to wear heels.  My other bunion is even smaller, but I still plan on having it removed in a couple of weeks because bunions tend to be progressive.  That's great that you're not experiencing much pain now, but you may in the future and as we get older, our bodies struggle to heal as quickly.  We can always come up with reasons to delay doing this procedure because it is not very convenient; however, doing it now and having the rest of our lives bunion free is totally worth it in my opinion!

My procedure went well and while I had some pain the first couple of days, I was able to walk and get around.  Now I have virtually no pain at all and I'm just 4 days post op! 

• Posted

Great to hear you have no pain so soon! For me, yes I guess cosmetics is a big reason as the bunion is very ugly and does not fit very well into shoes! Thank you for your reply - definitely worth considering future issues....
  • Posted

I am 40 and I have tailor's bunions on each foot. The left is worse than the right. On the left one it is starting to touch the forth toe, and it is also not even touching the ground. Both are constantly red all of the time. I can go two days with wearing no shoes or socks and they will still be bright red. They really do hurt when I play basketball, jogging, or walking long distances. I have been trying the conservative measures for the last year and a half. I believe it to be a waste of time. I have also kept asking myself is this really what I want to do, but I really don't want to wait 10 to 20 more years to get it done. I could only imagine how worse they will be. I am meeting with an orthopedic doctor this week.

• Posted

Good luck with meeting your doctor, I hope you get some helpful advice
    • Posted

Thank you very much, and good luck to you as well. After meeting with the orthopedic doctor today, we will be trying one last conservative option. The doctor told me that I have extremely tight calf muscles and my range of motion in my ankles are not normal. This issue has contributed to the bunionette pain and enlargement. My treatment is to do fully body weight calf stretches with the rest\pause method to ensure a good stretch. This might relieve the pain in the bunionettes. I am to do this every day for the next two months. If that don't stop the pain, than the surgery will be next. I am good with giving this a try, because if I was to need surgery I could not do it until after July 18th anyway when my vacation days renew.

• Posted

Hi Helen, I really understand how you feel about getting your bunions operated on. I have a large bunion on my right foot which doesn't give me any pain but the most annoying thing is finding shoes to fit, it is becoming a real headache for me. The bunion doesn't hinder my walking at all.   I have been thinking of having it operated on for the last three years but keep putting it off as I am very nervous about results too and don't want to end up worse than before.   I would have it done tomorrow if I could have the minimally invasive surgery that is done in Sussex and Germany and they also have an easier op in America called tightrope bunion surgery both ops have a lot quicker recovery time and not so ruthless as the common bunion ops. I live in Australia but no one hear does this more less invasive surgery and have not had any recommendations for a good surgeon.  I keep thinking of going to UK for this op but it is a big thing to organize, accommodation etc. Which country do you live? And I'd like to know what you think about what I've said in this post.

• Posted

I'm not sure if this minimally invasive surgery is available for a bunion that is considered moderate/severe which would need a bone fusion.  I think this kind of op is reserved for a lesser bunion which only requires the scarf method.  It's not always what is considered large to look at either its what is seen by X ray. 

• Posted

Hello, I'm in the UK and would also like the minimally invasive surgery ideally but don't think it's possible for larger bunions. Makes the decision to go ahead with traditional surgery quite tough thinking of all that's involved....as for shoes I always have to look for wider fits and am then comfortable. Have you looked into orthotics at all? I haven't really as assumed there wouldn't be much to help such a large bunion, but maybe this is a route I should consider...

• Posted

Hi Helen, Thanku for your reply. He is the one that does the Boesch Technique bunion operation with excellent results.  When I enquiried about this op I did say I had a large bunion. To me it sounds the best option and day surgery. I have checked on the orthotics but was told it wouldn't work for my bunion. Pam

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.