Severe Bunions and Hammer Toes Questions

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

New to this, so I am 23 and as long as I can remember I had severe bunions and hammer toes which have caused me pain. My big toes on both feet are at an angle where they touch my third toe and the second toe (hammer) looks as if it is floating in air smile. When I was younger I was advised that I would need surgery over 10 years now and at that time it was suggested that as I was still growing the success of the surgery may be in doubt. So I had regular visits to get orthoics for many years.

So earlier this year went to the gp got referred to University College London hospital (UCLH). I got an appointment initial in April however they have decided to cancel that and give one in May now sad and even after I have phoned to express the need to be seen earlier due to the pain I am having day to day nothing can be done.

I wanted to ask if anyone had there treatment at UCLH and if it would be a good idea to have both feet done at once.

Also how long did the whole process take from the time of the first consultation to the procedure.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gillian

Thanks for that. I am feeling reassured. I must remember that i am only 7 weeks post op, so I have another 11 to go to catch up with you.

I am positive that I will be at the same stage you are by then.

Like you say, it will probably be a natural occurrence and I won't notice I've done something spectacular with my foot until afterwards!!!! Here hoping. 😆

• Posted

Hi,

I'm facing bunion and hammer toe surgery going to see the consultant next Friday, ideally if he will do it I would like both feet done together?

I know I'll be totally incapacitate but would rather do that than face a second operation later this year or early next.

What advice can you offer regarding this? I understand I'll have a K Wire so stupid questions like what can you wear following the op can you get pyjamas on or later trousers?

I'm lucky I have a friend in Chelmsford where I'm going to have my surgery and she's going to look after me until I get my stitches out. Dreading it but I need it done desperately .

Wendy

• Posted

Hello Wendy. I had my bunion and hammertoe surgery 27 November 2013. Dressings changed, wounds/ scars checked/x-rays/K-wire removed at appointments on12 December, 9 January and final consultant appointment 31 March2014. Now 18+ weeks post-op and doing really well. Just about 5% off my pre-surgery walking movement so am delighted. Apart from occasional stiffness and only slight discomfort now and then.

I need my other foot doing and have already discussed this with my surgeon/consultant who is happy to do it and I'm due to see him at some point in July with a view to having the surgery mid/late September. Not sure whether I've got a hammertoe on this foot so can't comment on whether it'll be just bunion surgery or combined with hammertoe. I don't think I've got a hammertoe on this foot. However, having already been down the surgery route with one foot and experienced the whole process I do not think I would have liked to have had both feet done together. We're all different, I know. I fully appreciate that to have both feet done does get it all over with in one go. But, knowing what I do and having been there with one foot I've been able to watch and assess how everything has gone with the surgery and recovery period. I've been lucky and have had no problems and feel very happy and confident about going ahead with my other foot. But, to have both done together for me is not something I would want. You are incapacitated and need to get used to your new limits and so I would proceed with caution in your decision. I realise that I will be starting all over again but I am prepared to do this. I know that this time next year I will have two (hopefully) lovely, straight and well matched feet.

• Posted

Hi Wendy - I had bunion, hammertoe fused, 3rd hammertoe done and neuroma all on my little foot. After the op because the wire stayed in for 6 weeks, I was not allowed to shower or bathe until wire was out. Others on this forum have used a Limbo, you can get from Amazon. Have everything to hand by your bed.

My surgeon does not do both feet at once, but a friend of mine had both done (Hertfordshire) and he was really pleased he did. Also depends on how much time if you work you can have off. Although I only had one done, if I needed both done I would do at the same time. Others on these forums have done, have a read.

You live in the neck of the woods I used to. I lived near Sawbridgeworth, now in Derbyshire.

Be aware it does take a long time to recover. I am 7 weeks post op. Went to work ( own a cafe) and my foot is so swollen, icing it now. Need lots of patience.

Good luck with your decision.

• Posted

Wendy- I had both feet done at the same time. Bunions on both and hammer toe and soft tissue correction on the left foot. I would say go for both at once- if you're going to be sitting still for one you're probably as well doing it for both! I have been lucky in that my recovery has been good( I'm at 5 weeks post op) and have had little discomfort. I think the worst bit is the sitting with feet up all the time and then- the bit still to come- working back to normal activity! Good luck and be guided by your consultant- he will know what is doable. smile
  • Posted

Oh man, what a hard question to answer. So much depends on so many different factors: your age, your work, your home life situation, your patience, your personality etc. I never considered doing both at once because:

1. I live alone now and wanted to get through this as independently as possible. I assumed with a knee walker and one good foot I would be able to do this and now on day 11 post-op I can say that this thankfully turned out to be the case. The knee walker in the house was indispensable in making everything so much more doable.

2. I generally am on the go alot so not being housebound was also important. I seriously feared getting depressed. I can drive because its my left foot that was done so with the knee walker have been able to go out each day on short errands or to socialize where I can keep my foot up since day 7.

3. I am newly retired so don't need to consder time off work.

4. At 70 yrs old I prefer to heal from one surgery at a time.

5. I wanted to be able to be as physically active as possible during recovery.

Good luck with your decision. In the end whatever you decide will be best for you WILL be best!

• Posted

Thanks for the replies it's my first time on a forum....

My problem is I've left it too long before making the decision both feet are bad right foot marginally worse than the left but it's a close call and it's affecting my mobility now....My thoughts are if I've got to go through all that for one foot I might as well do it for two and have done with it..

I actually live in Lincolnshire so the surgeon (and my friend are a bit of a trek but my GP couldn't recommend anyone local so I've had to do my own research). I notice no one on here mentions surgeons is there a reason for that?

Pleased to read your replies especially Eileen's, as to my age I'm 59 and reasonably fit apart from a spine proThanks for the replies it's my first time on a forum....

My problem is I've left it too long before making the decision both feet are bad right foot marginally worse than the left but it's a close call and it's affecting my mobility now....My thoughts are if I've got to go through all that for one foot I might as well do it for two and have done with it..

I actually live in Lincolnshire so the surgeon (and my friend are a bit of a trek but my GP couldn't recommend anyone local so I've had to do my own research). I notice no one on here mentions surgeons is there a reason for that?

Pleased to read your replies especially Eileen's, as to my age I'm 59 and reasonably fit apart from a spine problem which of course my feet exacerbate because of my gait...I walk miles but it is becoming incredibly painful and the strapping routine and padding which goes before is amazing...

I don't live alone and my husband is an excellent cook but we have five dogs so it's all going to be very hard work for him. As until the wires are out I'm going to be largely housebound...He agrees with me though rather go through all that once rather than twice..I have an office job and am anticipating going back with the assistance of a mobility scooter and working half days slowly building up to full time again...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the surgeon suggests I'll ask if he thinks it will be detrimental to the healing process and if he says not and is prepared to do it then I think I'll bite the bullet and call in some favours from friends...

All advice great fully received and as I said thanks for taking the time to reply...

Wendyblem which of course my feet exacerbate because of my gait...I walk miles but it is becoming incredibly painful and the strapping routine and padding which goes before is amazing...

I don't live alone and my husband is an excellent cook but we have five dogs so it's all going to be very hard work for him. As until the wires are out I'm going to be largely housebound...He agrees with me though rather go through all that once rather than twice..I have an office job and am anticipating going back with the assistance of a mobility scooter and working half days slowly building up to full time again...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the surgeon suggests I'll ask if he thinks it will be detrimental to the healing process and if he says not and is prepared to do it then I think I'll bite the bullet and call in some favours from friends...

All advice great fully received and as I said thanks for taking the time to reply...

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I was operated on in my local hospital by a surgeon ( I live down in Gosport) , had both feet done 3 weeks ago as I only wanted one period of time out from work and I too am in my late 50's but fairly fit and work full time.

If you go for both feet and have good help at home I'd say do it but ensure someone is there to help you to the bathroom for the first 3 days as you'll have to learn to balance on your heels with 2 crutches , 3 weeks down the line I'm far more mobile .

Good luck

S

• Posted

Wendy. Hi I'm 58 this summer and I had both feet done five weeks ago. I didn't really want two periods of being out if action and was happy to go for the double as my surgeon suggested it. The hardest bit was having a bath keeping both feet out and having a shower same difficulty, I sat on a stool and left my feet out which was ok in the short term. I managed in the house, my husband has cooked and sometimes works from home. On days he was out we made sure I had most of what I needed around me.

My mobility is much improved now but I still can't push it. Went to a wedding y'day and feet ache today. I've been icing tonight, those peas are perfect for the job and it really helps a lot

You need patience and a good sense of humour but you can do it with a bit of help. I suggest hiring a wheelchair from the Red Cross, been invaluable and will help next week when I go watch my son run the marathon!

Accept all help offered however independent you are, be patient and kind to yourself. Get physio if you can and be prepared for a few months to fully repair and wear "normal" shoes. It's never too late - go for it. Good luck! 👣👣v

• Posted

I may be repeating myself in this articular thread- apologies if I am. I had both feet done at the same time. I am almost 50, 2 large dogs and have managed ok with only some help the first 3 days.

The longer you can stay off your feet- and that means with your feet elevated- not on a scooter or in a wheelchair, the better, more effective and quicker your recovery will be.. If you are entitled to sick pay- make the most of it- it's your health/mobility at stake here- no medals given out if you go back to work before you have to and even if they were it wouldn't help your recovery! Get yourself organised beforehand with shower stool, a kindle, knitting, visitor rota, dog walking rota, laptop, online shopping account etc and you will be fine I'm sure.

As for surgeons I didn't actually give it any thought to be honest. I saw the designated consultant (I'm an NHS patient) who was to do my surgery and went along with it - I had faith that he wouldn't be allowed to operate if he didn't have a modicum of a success rate. As it turned out on the day I had a different surgeon anyway - and by chance he does the surgery I had differently (less invasively with much smaller incisions and different aftercare, partial plaster cast initially followed by bunion splints once stitches are out).

It's easy for me to say have both done at once but given my time over- I'd do the same- it's not been awful at all but no way would I have wanted to go through this twice!!

• Posted

Yes I agree with the advice from Beau. Rest ice and elevation are the truest and best ways to recover. A few people have posted comments from others about it only being bunion surgery. Be under no illusion this is major surgery! You will be fine and a positive attitude helps. Keep thinking of the end product :-) 👣
  • Posted

So sorry K000 I didn't know how to start a new thread, I'll butt out now. Thanks for all the advice it's all taken on board.

Wendy

• Posted

Looks as though we all feel the same and all I can say is how wonderful the NHS is I have no complaints about the surgeon I was allocated to.

Wishing everyone a happy ( and wet if you are UK based) Sunday

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.