Severe buttock pain, adult degenerative scoliosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 73 and have a lumbar curve, 32 degrees a year ago, worse now, with corresponding twisting of the spine.  It is adult degenerative scioliosis so I have severely thinned discs, possible arthritis in facet joints, stenosis, possible sacroiliac joint problems, 3 lumbar fractures.  I have been doing exercises with an exercise physiologist to strengthen my back but fear he has been over-enthusiastic as over the past month pain in my right buttock, present mildly on and off for probably a year or more, has become so severe that it is debilitating, and 'tingling' (nerve irritation) that I have never had there is now a daily problem.  The pain and tingling is relieved only by lying down.  Overnight it will ease but as soon as I get up it is back.  I have osteoporosis so surgery would not be an option.  I have tried a physio who specializes in scoliosis without improvement and the medication I take for pain (panadiene forte) seems to have no effect.  I am rather desperate.  I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone can give me.  I live in Australia.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maureen...

I don't know if it's available in Australia, but gabapentin might be a good drug for you to try.  It is non-narcotic, and addresses nerve pain.

In the meantime, I would recommend discussing the problem with the physiologist.  They should back off on exercise for awhile to see if the problem resolves on its own.

--Linda

• Posted

Thank you very much for replying Linda.  I have been taking a nerve pain tablet at night (Lyrica = Pregabalin) but will try taking one in the morning also.  It is a good suggestion.  The physiologist knows I am having problems and gave me two sessions of remedial massage but it didn't help.  He can't tell where the pain is actually coming from.  I will take a break from the exercises as you suggest and hope for some improvement.  Thank you again.

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.