severe central canal stenosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have at L-3:diffuse degenerative disc disease and spondylotic changes of the

lumbar spine with multilevel canal stenosis and foraminal narrowing that is

mostly at the L3-4 level.

I have pretty severe pain down my right upper thigh on the outside. Some (tolerable) pain on the left leg on the outside. At times, I feel I could collapse from the thigh pain.

My surgeon has recommended (as three other neuro or orthopedic surgeons also have), spinal fusion surgery.

Any others have similar surgery or experiences as a surgeon?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Exactly...at L2/L3. Bilateral stenosis...could barely walk. Find a surgeon that does a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF). They go in from your side, not your back, drill out the disk and insert the "device" that acts like a car jack. Using an Allen wrench, they expand the device to separate the vertebrae and open up the foraminal canals. A quick bone graft from your hip to fill in the spaces to start the fusion process and close.

I had a traditional TLIF fusion (rails and screws) L3 through S1. Twelve days in the hospital, back brace, 4 months of rehab. For the LLIF, immediate relief, walking and doing stairs as soon as I woke up, zero pain, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. It's a miracle op.

Search YouTube for "Globus Medical: LLIF Technique" to see an animation of the procedure and then "Globus Elsa" for an animation of the device. (I only needed the device, no extra hardware.) This is a no-brainer!!!

• Posted

My surgeon will use pretty much the same hardware, but uses small pads between vertebrae. Hopefully it has the same result as yours! Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Posted

I had had 3 back surgeries, one laser surgery at Houston , Texas, which I had to pay for myself 13,000. the second surgery was a doctor in Wichita, kansas , did not help at all... a LAMINECTOMY.... THE THIRD SURGERY WAS IN ST. LUKE PRESBYTERIAN , IN COLORADO AT WESTERN ORTHAPOEDICS, DR. BIRNEY, HE DID A 3,4 5 SPINAL FUSION AND MY RIGHT THIGH PAIN THAT I HAD SINCE 2013 IS GONE ..... I AM SO PLEASE WITH MY SURGERY. HE PUT A CAGE BETWEEN THE VERTEBRAE THAT HAD SOME CADAVER BONE CELLS TO MAKE MY BODY BRIDGE THE VERTEBRAE... SO FAR SO GOOD... VERY BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

• Posted

DR. BIRNEY WENT IN THROUGH MY STOMACH, ABOUT A 10 INCH INCISION.....

• Posted

Shirley

thanks for your message. That is exactly the type of fusion I am anticipating. I have the same pain in my right thigh. It is very bad sometimes, and tough to walk at certain moments.

I've seen a total of four surgeons, who all concur with the original diagnosis and treatment. I am confident in my choice of surgeons, and am in relatively good shape. I want to (hopefully) continue to golf in 12-18 months, but cannot currently play under these conditions.

Thank you for your kind words, and best of luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.