Severe chronic gastritis and after just a month I'm at the end of my rope

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 65 and developed chronic gastritis over the last three months. First knots in stomach, then loss of appetite, then nausea, then extreme burning cauldron of stomach pain. Don't know the cause, but it could be stress, opiates (Vicodin) I take for my four hernitated discs, Internet supplements, or something else. 

So had all the tests and endoscopy found chronic gastritis. Started the alkaline diet about 5 days ago, eating no acidic food whatsoever, completely changed my diet. Stopped the opiates cold-turkey and am on the 5th day of withdrawal. Back pain is bad, but stomach pain is worse. I've stopped working, stopped visiting friends. and can't sleep. There appears to be no let up. Just started the DGL licorice root extract yesterday and the slippery elm as well. The slippery elm seems to knock the pain down a few points, but it's always there.

Baseically, I'm questioning whether it's all worth it. This is not living.

Any suggestions anyone? 

Today, my pain management doc prescribed Fentanyl pain patches which I will start in 3 days (they are expensive and must wait until payday). Perhaps they will help, but Fentanyl makes you groggy and sort of out of it. They might help with the gastritis as well as the back pain, but don't know. 

I am still wondering if it's my blood pressure med, Lisinopril which I still am taking. Tried to quit that too but racing heart. So back on that. 

I quit the cholesterol med, Simvastatin.

I take Valium to help me sleep, but it doesn't work that well. Alternate with Ambian which also doesn't work that well.

Any suggestions? I need a miracle.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Lorraine, three things to ask you, Are you overweight, do you drink alcohol and how much gluten do you consume?
    • Posted

Dear Chopsy,

I am thin, don't drink and eat gluten. No Celiac disease. Any idea?

• Posted

Dear Lorraine, For years I have suffered with heartburn which in the last three years became very severe. UK GP's seem to only want to prescribe PPI's or H2 blockers give you a load of lifestyle advice (if you're lucky) and send you on your way.  The prescription drugs made me worse so I refused to take them.  Anyway, I knew I had to figure it out for myself so after weeks of research, trials, potions, quacks, books from Amazon I decided to go Gluten Free.  I started to hang out in the gluten free ailes of the supermarkets and question people who puchased GF food regarding their symptoms. Low and behold, several had Heartburn/Indegestion/ nausea etc. I'm not saying it would work for you, and you do not have to be a celiac to have gluten intolerance. But I think it is worth giving it a go. You may find that it helps your other problems as well.  It is not easy, it is hard, demands time, it is expensive and a complete pain when eating out or going to friends.  But I can assure you that for me after three months I was almost symptom free. To prove to myself that gluten is the culprit since the beginning of January I have re-introdced gluten back into my diet.  I am almost back to where I began with chronic heartburn symptoms. Give it a go and if you need any help or support email me.
    • Posted

Dear Chopsy,

Is there such a thing as white gluten free bread? I cannot eat whole wheat at all since my problems developed. I have French bread which is not fortified in the freezer. But it most likely has gluten in it. So what bread did you eat? If any?

• Posted

There are loads of Gluten free Breads in Britain the one I like is by Dr Schar. You can get wholemeal grainy the lot.  But as I say if you want to go totally Gluten Free you will need to invest a lot of time and research and label reading. It is surprising where gluten is.  In the UK if it contains Gluten wheat rye or barley it is featured in bold lettering on the ingredients list.
  • Posted

That tests could diagnose "chronic gastritis," especially when its onset was just three months ago, seems suspect. Sounds like a wastebasket diagnosis ... in other words, drs just don't know what the problem is so are slapping a generic label on it. If it were me I'd try and find another primary care dr -- one who is willing to take the tijme to try and get more definitive answers. Severe physical symptoms should never be written off as stress, though that said, if you don't already see a therapist it might help to do so. There are many who have expertise with illness, both chronic and acture.
    • Posted

Yes, must find a therapist that takes Medicare. Otherwise, unaffordable. Yes, must see another gastroenterologist. Too weak to do all this stuff. But thanks, will attempt.
  • Posted

Have you been tested for parisites
    • Posted

I asked the ER doctor who did the cat scan about parasites, but he said my eosinophil levels were too high for there to be a parasite. But ER docs aren't the end-all arbiter of anything. So time to see another gastroenterologist and get new tests. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.