Severe cold flashes or flushes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 53 and had a partial hystorectomy about 20 years ago and strated menopause almost right away really bad hot flashes then they just stopped one day and nothing for a while then they came back with a vengence but now cold flashes too in all extremities hurts so bad feel like frost bite I don't know how much more I can take am gonna try accupuncture I hope it helps

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone with the cold flashes.  Mine last several days at a time and then my temperature clock resets itself and I'm fine again. I start with a cold neck and gradually takes over until I am frozen!  I can't beat it once it starts, but I keep as active as I can. Accupuncture sounds worth a go.  I've just changed my diet: eating more soya, more healthy foods like salads and drinking herbal teas to regulate menopause symptoms (milk thistle and raspberry leaf tea).  I cut the caffeine intake and increased the veges/salad.  It's too soon to tell if this helps, but I'm sleeping better and no longer wake up with hot flashes.  I'm also cutting down the rubbish - cakes, toast and jam, biscuits etc, but am struggling with that one!! Good luck with your journey!  I hope you find something that helps you.  You will certainly get ideas and support from these forums.
    • Posted

why do they always bring onto the market new biscuits that you want to try, when you've just gone on a serious diet?

you seem to be doing everything to help yourself and i wish you luck and enormous amount of willpower.you can do it.

i question your theory of using more soya.you dont want an overload of eostrogen.

i dont knowhow to go about having a hormone test.especially if the levels change from hour to hour.

i still get hot flushes even though my menopause naturally 25 years ago.

a supplement i do use is ginko biliba.

its for circulation.since i started taking them i dont feel cold and also my brain is sharper.

but always take in the morning or you'll not sleep. same with sugary stuff and caffine i suppose.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and the tips about soya.  I'll watch my intake from now on.  Like you, my Mum still has (occassional) hot flushes 25 years after her menopause began. I seem to be quite different from her - more cold than hot smile  Ginko biliba sounds interesting - I have always been a cold person, so maybe this is worth considering.  My brain is definitely suffering from the menopause, too!

Keeping an open mind and positive attitude definitely helps, so  I'm off for tea and cake with the girls later (we can't be good all the time can we?!)

• Posted

just one thing i forgot to mention.

if you're up for any kind of surgery, lay off the ginco for a few weeks in case it has your blood running thinner.

i'm not a good girl all the time either.my hot flushes come thick and fast after a glass of wine. i have to eat cakes and bics then to mop up the excess alcohol.

• Posted

Wow! I didn't know ginko was that powerful.  Thanks smile   I should read up on it. I love your approach - tea gives me hot flushes...maybe we should all go on the cake diet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.