Severe cold intolerance

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 20 years old, have hashimotos and still don't have my TSH under control (it's at a 12 currently). I was diagnosed when I was 6 so it's been a solid 14 years now of trying to get my TSH down. I am constantly cold and can't get warm! It's not the first time I've felt like this but I've noticed that it comes in waves. i probably get these really bad waves of cold intolerance every month or 2, but I am still generally cold all the time. Anyone else have this problem? And do you have any advice on how to keep warm?? I literally had my heat blasting in my car last night and it was 85F outside... Any suggestions would be much appreciated! smile thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have been on throxine now for around 20years know I allso feele the cold I am 52 on 125 mg daily was on 150 got it down with good diet it was going up every year or so But know it's gone down stayed down since December

• Posted

Hello! What medicine are you currently taking? I also get cold when I'm in cold areas too but living in a tropical country gives me some comfort. A jacket, mittens and close clothes usually do my thing... It wouldn't work for you tho. How about drinking warm tea?

• Posted

Im on 100mcg of levothyroxine right now, but I'm assuming my doctor will end up raising it soon. Drinking warm tea may help, thanks!

• Posted

Oh wait, not warm tea. Hot tea. I don't just drink warm tea, it needs to be as close to boiling temparature. Just be careful.

• Posted

Hi, I'd suggest returning to your doctor and stressing how cold you get even when it's boiling hot weather. You may just need your dosage raising slightly or a lot , which I expect they will do. Even just 25 mg can make a massive difference. They will prob need to get your bloods checked. I have mine every six months. Good luck and hope you get well soon

• Posted

Yes, I too think that my doctor will just raise my dose but I'm scared to raise it any more because I get really bad heart palpitations when it's raised. I mean I'll get used to a new dose eventually it'll just be a rough first couple weeks lol. Thanks for your response!

• Posted

Yes Anne I know exactly what your talking about. I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and Fibromyalgia and a cold store can put me down! Even in the summer I need to stay warm. But, I have recently found something out! I started with Synthroid in 2004 and finally found a Dr in 2011 or so to change me to Armour. I saw some improvement, but not enough . I've recently started taking Nature Throid and I love it! This formula has T4 and T3. I have energy and some of my muscle aches and pains are better! I'm hopeful that I will continue to see improvements, as it's only been a week! I think all that time of not handling the cold was my body not converting the T4 into T3 when I took the Synthroid and not enough T3 in the Armour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.