Severe Compression

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Hand Surgeon says I have severe compression in both hands, however symptoms  are pretty are minor, he says sometimes people with severe compression can get worse symptoms after surgery, but hopeful  this would not happen in my case.

What do I do?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

He's right that some people with loss of sensation before surgery can actually feel that the sensation they regain after surgery is worse than the numbness they had before. If the symptoms are not bothering you much there may be an argument for leaving well alone. Knowing what the nerve conduction studies look like would allow a more evidence based assessment of how bad it really is - judging this clinically is a bit of guesswork in most cases. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Many thanks for reply, my Surgeon has the Nerve conduction studies,  and he mentioned in his letter to me the right carpal tunnel is showing no signs of discernible activity?. Minor symptoms: holding phone, driving, computer mouse/keyboard, but only seem to appear now and then for short spells, the only thing that is more constant is strange sensation on finger tips, very slight, hardly noticeable.

Also I play the piano which is very important, so I am reluctant to have surgery. I would appreciate your opinion on these matters.

Many thanks,

John

• Posted

It's a pretty complex situation. If you can try to get hold of a copy of your NCS (most labs are happy to share then with you if you ask) and then visit my website we can try to analyse the situation a bit. You will also find a detailed discussion of the outcomes of surgery on there - much more than I can do in a reply here. Dr J Bland

• Posted

I do now have a copy of NCS how do I send it to you

Many thanks,

John

• Posted

email is best - and discussion is best conducted through my own website forum - the automatic moderation software of this site makes life a little difficult. if you can find your way to carpal-tunnel.net we can carry on there - and you will also find all my contact details there under 'information for Kent patients'

• Posted

And just to illustrate that my initial reply to your comment is currently being 'moderated' - you will eventually be able to read it once this site has agreed that it is OK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.