Severe constipation, finally passed VERY hard stools, now bleeding for 3 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello forum. Ive had severe constipation for months now that Im almost 100% sure is due to one of my meds. And the doctor I saw agreed. I am currently weening off that medication in hopes to resolve this, and to just get off a medication I dont really need anymore. This most recent bout of constipation also caused a hemorrhoid.

Anyway about 3 days ago I had to go to the ER because I could not pass a stool no matter what I did. And I tried everything including digital removal. At the ER they gave me an enema and magnesium citrate. (Even though I explained that mag citrate had taken over 24 hours to work in the past, and never helped pass a hard stool. Always only runny). I waited there for hours and despite the enema never had to go. They sent me hope and recommended a primary doctor visit and a Gastro.

I dont have a Primary, but I did find a Gastro that would take me with a referral. So I used my local walk in clinic via a same day appt and got the referral. The Gastro doctors first opening isnt until January. The walk in clinic doctor prescribed me Lactulose which Ive been taking since.

So later that day I finally had to urge to go and after a really painful BM I finally passed the stool that was stuck. This of course also made the hemorrhoid worse but at least I finally got it out. During the movement I was surprised there wasnt any blood, but I did feel that the hemorrhoid got bigger.

A few hours later I started noticing blood on my underwear and when I checked the hemorrhoid it was quite a bit smaller. I assumed it was the blood source, but in the past the hemorrhoid would usually seem smaller, but might have just gone back in a little or had some reduced swelling.

After some research I think its an anal fissure since most of anal bleeding after passing a hard stool is the most common cause. Well the bleeding hasnt stopped for 3 days. Its not pouring out, its basically spotty and bright red. After a few hours there will be a few spots of blood on my underwear.

So basically Im just posting this to ask if anyone else has had an anal fissure and how long it bled for them? Ive googled this for hours and really cant find what is normal as far as how long it normally bleeds. For the most part Ive read that its usually only during a bowel movement and they will notice a bloody stool and/ or blood when they wipe. So of course the fact that it has continued bleeding is worrying me, but I want to avoid another ER visit if possible. Ive been there 3 times this month. The other 2 to unrelated issues. Anyway thats my issue and thanks in advance for any advice or your own battle with fissures.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I just saw that most of my post didnt show up so Im assuming it was too long. So I posted a shorter version. You can delete this one. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Nathan, try Laxido and magnesium citrate 500mg, every day without fail, once your bm's are soft and regular your fissure hopefully should heal. If you get constipated again two sachets of Laxido should work.

• Posted

Hi Nathan, try Laxido and magnesium citrate 500mg, every day without fail, once your bm's are soft and regular your fissure hopefully should heal. If you get constipated again two sachets of Laxido should work.

• Posted

• Posted

re your quesion about how long does the bleeding last, it varies from case to case. you dont mention having pain just bleeding. every fissure episode ive had comes with severe pain. i would suggest to check with you physician if the bleeding continues. also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, its important to keep regular bm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.