Severe constipation, finally passed VERY hard stools, now bleeding for 3 days

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was seen in the ER a few days ago for a stuck stool and was given an enema and mag citrate. I didnt have a BM while there but did later and after a very painful one I finally passed the one that was stuck. I already had a hemorrhoid and it of course got worse and more inflamed. At the time there was no bleeding but later I noticed blood spots on my underwear. The hemorrhoid was smaller so I thought maybe it had bled a little. Its been 3 days and its still bleeding down there. Its not a lot, just spots in my underwear I notice after a few hours. Has anyone else had this? Anyone else bleed for several days? I want to avoid another ER visit since Ive been there 3 times this month. The other 2 for unrelated issues. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just to add the blood is bright red. Not dark.

• Posted

What you describe is not unusual. You may want to reevaluate your diet so that this does not happen again.

• Posted

I had the Halo op on Monday and passed the biggest, hardest poop of my life this morning, despite taking everything given to me by the hospital, including fibre supliments and stool softeners. I've been eating plenty of fruit and veg and drinking at least 3 litres of water each day. I honestly don't believe that diet alone causes the issue with hard stools, how can it after that concoction? Had to strain like hell to get it out of me, which is the last thing I want to be doing.

Any tips of how myself, and Nathan can avoid this would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Were you also on Opioid Pain Killers? Depending on dosage they can be highly constipating no matter what other aids you take.

I personally found that cycling Ibuprofen and Tylenol worked very well for pain.

Also, after I had surgery and in addition to fiber supplements (Citrucel, Stool Softeners, and Fiber Gummies), I was also taking 2 Tablespoons of Mineral Oil daily.

• Posted

Hi Jane.

I was given a strong painkiller on top of main stuff they give during the operation which I presume is an opiod.

I've read the instructions of the stool softener and can take more than the 3 a day I was on. This seems to be helping now.

Thank you for your message.

• Posted

Hi, you could try chia seeds, soak a tablespoon of chia seeds in a glass of water for about an hour stir a few times, the seeds will turn glutinous add some juice for taste, you can repeat this 2 or 3 times a day, chia seeds are high in fibre especially soluble fibre, they soak up about 10 times their weight in water and help keep the colon hydrated, drink plenty fluids, water etc, don't consume chia seeds dry always soak in water, this may help soften stools.

• Posted

Hi, you could try chia seeds, soak a tablespoon of chia seeds in a glass of water for about an hour stir a few times, the seeds will turn glutinous add some juice for taste, you can repeat this 2 or 3 times a day, chia seeds are high in fibre especially soluble fibre, they soak up about 10 times their weight in water and help keep the colon hydrated, drink plenty fluids, water etc, don't consume chia seeds dry always soak in water, this may help soften stools.

• Posted

In a previous post that cut cut off I explained a lot more back story to this including that I have been on Suboxone for years which I am pretty sure is the main cause of all this. Im working with my doctor to ween off of it. The bleeding did stop until the next bowel movement which was also hard. I have completely changed my diet to a lot of fiber and drinking water all day. And that combined with lowering the Suboxone dose has seemed to start helping. I also wrote in the other post that earlier this month they did a CT scan and found and I quote " A massive amount of stool in my colon". So my thinking is that was getting backed up due to the Suboxone and just got to a point where it would move no further hence the recent trip to the ER and all thats happened since. But I seem to be on the right track and am seeing improvement. Thanks for all the replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.